Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What triggers an Amex FR?

tag
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

What triggers an Amex FR?

Hello everybody.

I just wanted to know what makes Amex FR you. What do they ask from you? Does every Amex card holder go through in or can you prevent it? Since I'm new to Amex i just want a heads up if it happens to me.

Thanks!
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Re: What triggers an Amex FR?

They have their own formula for discerning between high risk individuals, just be responsible and honest and you won't have a problem.

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 2 of 14
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Also, don't play with the "Check Your Spending Ability" too much (or put an exorbitant amount).

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 3 of 14
Involus
Regular Contributor

@sakhalin070 Oops... I played with it one day. Put in $1000 - Approved and increased it buy $1000 until it denied me and said 'you can no longer make this request online - please call ######### to make this request'....on the day I activated my card. ;o

Message 4 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

IMO debt pyramiding and asking way to much from AMEX

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

requesting a CLI of 25k+

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

My one and only FR was triggered by a failed purchase attempt at a law office, or so said the Amex CSR.

Message 7 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

My one and only FR was triggered by a failed purchase attempt at a law office, or so said the Amex CSR.

did a potential lawsuit scare them? =)

DAMN AMEX ISN"T GIVE ME MY CLI I DESERVE!!! ;p

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 14
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

Also, don't play with the "Check Your Spending Ability" too much (or put an exorbitant amount).

I'm not sure how true that is. I have a BCE with $5400 since Oct. I've played with that button for the 5 weeks, once every week. Putting in $10k, $8k, $6k. It's okay me for $6k, a couple times $8k and never $10k.

Haven't been FRed yet. I know that I'm "playing with fire". But honestly, I'm not worried about FR as everything on app was true.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 9 of 14
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Usually, FR is trigger due to a huge spending pattern change (i.e., shopping in Macy's, Whole Foods Market, to shopping in cheap clothing stores and regular supermarkets) or charging more than the income you gave them in your app. Just be honest, and charge your daily expenses in accordance with what you put in your app in terms of your annual income. Start a pattern early and stick to it, and if you have any concerns about a charge going through, just call them. I also heard that AMEX don't like using their cards in law firms. That might be another trigger.

Welcome to the Amex family, where the FR bogeyman is always lurking in our wallets. Boooooo........

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.