cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What updates do you hope to see with CSP/CSR revamp?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What updates do you hope to see with CSP/CSR revamp?

@Citylights18 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The CSR earns 3 cents per dollar spent on travel. One cent is worth one point.

It takes 33% less points to buy travel on the Chase portal with a CSR x1.5. That is 33% off or 33% back that you don't have to spend.

Thus the 3 cents per dollar has 33% more value (4 cents per dollar)

If the CSR divisor was x2.0 travel would be 50% off and the 3 cents per dollar now worth 4.5.

In percentages there are always two approaches, basically (New-Old)/Old   and (New-Old)/New

These lead to the 50% vs 33% confusion, a 50% increase in the value of the unit leads to a 33% reduction in cost when paying with the inflated unit.   But your way is just not a meaningful way to do the calculation.   Consider this approach.

Instead of having a destination in mind, I am looking to see how I can spend my 100,000 UR.   Looking it up using my CFU, I have choices of flights that cost up to $1000.   If I transfer those points to the CSR, and look again, I find I have choices up to $1,500.   Which implies that th value has gone up 50%!

And now suppose that Chase finally expands Pay Yourself Back to allow you redeem the URs for cash at the enhanced rate.    Doing it with the CFU, I can cash out 100K UR for $1000.   Doing it on CSR would return $1,500      Would you still maintain that was a 33% improvement?

That is different and actually a 50% increase.

Not different. Accurate. 50% "extra value" through CSR when buying the travel through the Chase Travel Portal vs CFF or CFU. 

Might be time to take a break and consider what LTL and KiB have been outlining. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 61 of 95
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Might be time to take a break and consider what LTL and KiB have been outlining. 

Some people just refuse to be educated, and admit they're wrong.

|  
Message 62 of 95
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Many of the comparisons on dining for example fail to take into account that there are no foreign transaction fees to completely negate any dining earnings as is the case on the lower tier cards.  They are after all travel cards.

Excellent point. My CSR actually gets all of my foreign spend (both for bonus categories and otherwise) simply due to no FTF, but it only barely beats my lowly Cap1 Quicksilver that also has no FTF and offers 1.5% back on everything. Which gives me another idea: 1.5x on all foreign spend would be a great CSP/CSR feature, even if domestic spend stays at 1x.

The Cathay Pacific card by myFico's favorite lender, Synchrony Smiley Very Happy offers 1.5x AsiaMiles on foreign spend.

It's also a $95 AF and the card's pretty weaksauce save for a churn (Cathay Pacific spend 2x, non-US spend and dining 1.5x, everything else 1x, though the just got through running a promotion for grocery/gas/dining for 3x in those categories, up to 2k miles).

I got it for a 40k miles churn and as part of my credit rebuild, I'll ditch it next year, but there IS a card out there that does that...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 63 of 95
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I'm hoping Chase will take a page out of Citi's book and make the CSP/CSR a more compatible pair like the Premier/Prestige or even the Amex Gold/Plat. 

As it is, having either one significantly devalues getting the other. Anyone who makes even one international trip a year will almost certainly get more value out of the CSR and with 3% for dining now on the Freedom cards, the CSP needs to be revamped to where it can be used less for travel and more for other categories. 

[2/2019]
Message 64 of 95
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

The Cathay Pacific card by myFico's favorite lender, Synchrony Smiley Very Happy offers 1.5x AsiaMiles on foreign spend.

It's also a $95 AF and the card's pretty weaksauce save for a churn (Cathay Pacific spend 2x, non-US spend and dining 1.5x, everything else 1x, though the just got through running a promotion for grocery/gas/dining for 3x in those categories, up to 2k miles).

I got it for a 40k miles churn and as part of my credit rebuild, I'll ditch it next year, but there IS a card out there that does that...

I haven't looked into it that deeply, but I believe some of the better CU cashback cards also have no FTF. Alliant Signature, for instance, offers 2.5% cashback on everything, with no FTF. It's only an "ok" card, in my opinion, for everyday domestic spend, but it would be an excellent card for those who spend a lot of money abroad.

In any case, I wish Chase offered something that gave us better than 1-1.5% return on foreign everyday spend. Being a top-tier travel card lineup, it should at least be able to beat my Cap1 Quicksilver Smiley Very Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 65 of 95
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

I'm hoping Chase will take a page out of Citi's book and make the CSP/CSR a more compatible pair like the Premier/Prestige or even the Amex Gold/Plat. 

As it is, having either one significantly devalues getting the other. Anyone who makes even one international trip a year will almost certainly get more value out of the CSR and with 3% for dining now on the Freedom cards, the CSP needs to be revamped to where it can be used less for travel and more for other categories. 

A bigger SUB for the CSR would be nice, too (not that I would get it, but it would be nice for new members).

Because as things stand currently, you'd be nuts to sign up for the CSR directly... in almost every case, it's smarter to get the CSP and upgrade it to CSR after a year. Seems like with that $550 AF, they could afford to throw us a few more SUB points on that CSR, so people can sign up for it right away without feeling like they're missing out on $450 worth of SUB.

Alternatively, waiving the AF on the CSR for the first year would be equally good (maybe even slightly better)

Message 66 of 95
MacCreed
Valued Member

Raising SUB for CSP is a weird move.   It will not attract the clientele they are hoping for.  CSP is not a keeper card and 80k sub not make it one. 

I suspect Chase is trying to lock certain people out instead.  🤯

Message 67 of 95
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@MacCreed wrote:

Raising SUB for CSP is a weird move.   It will not attract the clientele they are hoping for.  CSP is not a keeper card and 80k sub not make it one. 

I suspect Chase is trying to lock certain people out instead.  🤯

I'm sure there are easier ways to lock people out than giving them $1000...

[2/2019]
Message 68 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreysw12 wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

A bigger SUB for the CSR would be nice, too (not that I would get it, but it would be nice for new members).

Because as things stand currently, you'd be nuts to sign up for the CSR directly... in almost every case, it's smarter to get the CSP and upgrade it to CSR after a year. Seems like with that $550 AF, they could afford to throw us a few more SUB points on that CSR, so people can sign up for it right away without feeling like they're missing out on $450 worth of SUB.

Alternatively, waiving the AF on the CSR for the first year would be equally good (maybe even slightly better)

Agreed. Especially with travel down. I am strongly considering getting it, knowing I'd just be banking those 80,000 points and likely upgrading to CSR by the time I use them. That's how it would shake out for me at the moment.

Message 69 of 95
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed. Especially with travel down. I am strongly considering getting it, knowing I'd just be banking those 80,000 points and likely upgrading to CSR by the time I use them. That's how it would shake out for me at the moment.

It's a good strategy. I did that for both the easier approval of CSP vs CSR, and for the extra 10k (at the time) bonus points. I banked the points, and by the time I upgraded to CSR a couple weeks ago I already had almost 150k points saved up to use with my new 1.5x multiplier.

Message 70 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.