cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

@Anonymous wrote:
My biggest credit card shocker was when i repaid my auto loan fully and i my credit score dropped by 50 points. Since i had just 4 installments left in a 36 months plan and i could afford to pay the last 4 installments in total, i went ahead and paid the outstanding amount and to my surprise my credit score dropped. Did i make a mistake of clearing my loan?

I'm paying my auto loan off this month.  I'll be very unhappy if my FICO scores decrease.  Hopefully the student loan tradelines will keep the scores steady.  

Message 41 of 79
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Losing $19,999 of CL.  One card ($7500 CL) was canceled due to prolonged nonuse.

The most annoying CLD went like this:

1. Home Depot card has CL of $15,000

2. HD cuts CL to $5001.

3. I call HD and request a restoration of the CL, with a promise to use the card

4. Hard inquiry from HD (which caused a small drop in score)

5. CL goes back to $15,000

6. Card sits idle for 2 months

7. HD cuts CL to $2501. Smiley Tongue

So when the dust settled, I had a lower score, a new inquiry, and a lower CL!

Message 42 of 79
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Lel wrote:

Losing $19,999 of CL.  One card ($7500 CL) was canceled due to prolonged nonuse.

2. HD cuts CL to $5001.

3. I call HD and request a restoration of the CL, with a promise to use the card

I bet you feel like kicking them to the curb, eh?Smiley Mad

Message 43 of 79
score_building
Senior Contributor

Lel wrote:

2. HD cuts CL to $5001.

So you got a CLD restoral with a promise to use the card and were shocked when they CLD you again when you failed to make purchase?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 44 of 79
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I was shocked that they cut it again in 2 months (actually, it was more like 6 weeks).  It's water under the bridge.
Message 45 of 79
pltc

You should have received a notice telling you, you can OPT OUT of this change but you must do so by a deadline. You must do it in writing, In doing so the existing interest rate should remain the same, but in doing so the account is automatically closed. If you plan on closing it anyway, I suggest you closely review your notice, if this is an option as it should be, write them a letter stating you do not accept their new terms KEEP A COPY, Send it CERTIFIED MAIL WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUEST. This will allow the remaining balance to be billed at the existing interest rate, rather than the new rate. They bank (no pun intended) on us not reading all the details, and sending the notices in such small print you need a magnifying glass to read them.

Good luck!

Message 46 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was shocked to get declined for a Capital One credit card when both my EQ & TU FICO scores were above 800. That's what I get for not researching credit card offers before I apply!

Message 47 of 79
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was shocked to get declined for a Capital One credit card when both my EQ & TU FICO scores were above 800. That's what I get for not researching credit card offers before I apply!

Declined with 800-plus scores!?!?! What on earth was their stated reason for saying no?

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 48 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Declined with 800-plus scores!?!?! What on earth was their stated reason for saying no?

Too many inquiries.

I had 3 in about a 45 day span when I applied for the card because I was also shopping for a mortgage. My scores were 820+ before those 3 inquiries. I could have fought the decision but didn't want to go through the hassle. Needless to say, I was surprised that I wasn't approved.

Guess that's why some people call them "Crapital One!"

Message 49 of 79
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

schlebrock wrote:

MattH wrote:

schlebrock wrote:

Too many inquiries.

I had 3 in about a 45 day span when I applied for the card because I was also shopping for a mortgageMy scores were 820+ before those 3 inquiries. I could have fought the decision but didn't want to go through the hassle. Needless to say, I was surprised that I wasn't approved.

Guess that's why some people call them "Crapital One!"

If I had three hard inquiries imposed on me I would be recon'ing the decision with vigor,

Message 50 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.