Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first card?

tag
TheSpeculator
Regular Contributor

What was your first card?

I opened a Chase bank account several years back in the branch and they gave me a Black Student +1 credit card. I didn't even ask for it. :/ It was my start to an incredible learning process and soon was followed by Amex Zync.

I remember the $900 limit was awesome at the time. They even auto CLI a few hundred more only 2 months after opening.
__
Freedom, Sapphire, Slate - HHonors, PRG, BCE - Cap1 Platinum - Discover IT - Tiffany & Co - Jared - Best Buy Citi -
Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES 71
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: What was your first card?

Mine was the BofA student plat plus. 1k inital CL. I applied for it the same morning i turned 18 Smiley Happy

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

October, 1999...turned 18 and went to college....The Associates Visa...they came to school and gave out applications...also the GTE Visa, and the Citibank Platinum Select MC, all $500.....

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 3 of 72
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

wells fargo student visa $500 at 20 years old.

Still $500 to this day! Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

@kayvee_ wrote:

wells fargo student visa $500 at 20 years old.

Still $500 to this day! Smiley Sad

Are you still 20?

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 5 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

@TheSpeculator wrote:
I opened a Chase bank account several years back in the branch and they gave me a Black Student +1 credit card. I didn't even ask for it. :/ It was my start to an incredible learning process and soon was followed by Amex Zync.

I remember the $900 limit was awesome at the time. They even auto CLI a few hundred more only 2 months after opening.

I wish this forum (or even the internet, jk) was out when I got my first cards. I started out good for three years, never missing a payment, but maxing them out....eventually leading to c/o. Had I know what the ramifications were back then, I would have only had two cards, instead of the 6 flashy cards I had in my wallet. I remember pulling out my Blue from AmEx all the time (was one of the first to have it when it was introduced). SHoul've kept it in the wallet....they've blacklisted me Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 72
TheSpeculator
Regular Contributor

I remember burning through my Amex. Spending WAY more than I could afford. The calls from Amex asking for payments were embarrassing. Love and learn. I PIF less than a month after the due date.

__
Freedom, Sapphire, Slate - HHonors, PRG, BCE - Cap1 Platinum - Discover IT - Tiffany & Co - Jared - Best Buy Citi -
Message 7 of 72
Danizzle
New Contributor

If I remember the name, it was a Providian card when I was 18. I don't remember the exact limit, but it was under $1,000. Within 6-12 mos. I got a Discover Classic ($3,500) when I saw my friend had a Discover Platinum with a $5k CL and I wanted it too, then some MC ($1.5k) but no idea what the bank was.

As a previous poster stated, I wish I knew what I was doing. I started out doing well (PIF, not spending much, etc.) Then I started spending more and paying less; got laid off and didn't know what to do so I just maxed them out and didn't pay. They tried a number of collections but I only ever paid back one since they garnished my wages. That was my fault or telling them I was working when they called me. The other 2 dropped off after 7 years and haven't heard anything since.

To all you young guys who are starting/building up your credit - keep up the good work and use this site to it's full advantage!! I wish I had the knowledge and community when I was younger.

All FICO scores as of 9.1.14: Exp 744, Eq 745, TU 764
Goal: 800+ across the board
Message 8 of 72
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

How about this Ill get back to you once I obtian my first CC. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 72
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

Sears sent me a store credit card when I was 19.  I believe the limit decent, about $1k, enough for me to buy a boom box and window AC unit! 

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 10 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.