Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first credit card?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: What was your first credit card?

I believe it was a Target Red Card, back in 2004. I got it when I worked at Target because there was a massive clearance sale on digital camcorders in the electronics department. I knew I could re-sell every single one of them on eBay for at least twice what I paid for them, but I didn't have a lot of cash. 

I let my co-worker process my credit app, and was approved for $500, which was enough to buy 5 of them with my employee discount. Made about $1000 in profit on them, so not a terriblereate of return. Paid for my Disney Cruise at the end of my Freshman year of college Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 62
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

Ahhh nostalgia! It was 1976... I was 16, I filled out the paper application for an ARCO gas card. My mom had an account, and she wrote a little letter that I amiled with the application. Three weeks later my very own ARCO card came. In November 1977 I filled out the paper application for a JCPenney card. Just in time for Christmas that year my card came. I was so excited with my $200 credit limit. I consider JCP to be truly my first card since it was for a department store. I still have that same account, nearly 41 years later. 

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 12 of 62
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

AU on mothers card. 1979-80? $750. Maxed it out and she took it away from me. Smiley Surprisedvisa.PNG

Message 13 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it for Students last year

Message 14 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

TD Cash Secured Credit Card with $500 limit. Yes, I got approved for $5,000 but I didn't want to put down more money. Maxed card only once and had it since December 2016.

Message 15 of 62
SteelCityPride
Valued Member

1989 Wells Fargo Mastercard $500 limit maxed out first month

Jan. 2017 Fico 8 - low 500's
Message 16 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

First card was several years ago, a Schools First FCU Visa Credit Card (now it's a MC) at $500, my mom as co-buyer. My mom warned me to never owe more than half of it on any statement, and I kept true to that promise....usually.
Message 17 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Union Bank secured $500 limit. It was bought out by Wachovia who got bought out by Wells Fargo.
Message 18 of 62
CMoore515
New Contributor

First card was a Capital One Platinum Mastercard. I was 20, still have the card today, I'm almost 30 now. Card started at $300 and is now at $2,150.

Filed BK7 10/2019
Discharged 1/2020
Message 19 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first credit cards I ever got were Aspen MasterCard and Aspire Visa when I was 20 years old.
Message 20 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.