cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first pre-qualified offer after rebuilding??

tag
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

What was your first pre-qualified offer after rebuilding??

I received a pre-qualified mailer for a Walmart Credit card.  As much as I want the free TU FICO score, I put it aside but smiled at the fact that I'm actually making progress in my credit journey.  Also, about a month ago I tried the shopping cart trick with J. Crew and successfully got an offer.  The same day I got the Walmart mailing (yesterday), I received a note from J. Crew telling me I had been pre-approved for their card, and that they'd like me to take them up on their offer.  I smiled and put that one aside too.  No more cards for me but it's nice to see hard work paying off.

Do you remember your first pre-qual after rebuilding? Who was it from? Did you go for it?

PS- Sorry if this question has already been asked.. I was just so excited to see offers come for me in the mail Smiley Very Happy

In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Re: What was your first pre-qualified offer after rebuilding??

I don't remember about my first pre-approval after rebuilding, but I do remember the one that meant the most. Before and while rebuilding my credit, I was denied by Citi so many times. Then one day (earlier this year), I got a pre-approval offer from them. I was so happy. I applied right away and was instantly approved. I felt so accomplished. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

I remember mine a few weeks ago how could i forget the NFCU mail offer. It said all u have to do is say yes to this offer. I couldn't believe the results, trust me rebuild the right way and it pays off.

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 3 of 11
nmac
Regular Contributor

When my credit score stopped falling I eventually received a number of very bad (very poor terms) credit card offers. In this mix I believe was first premier, credit one and probably others. I never applied for any of these cards as they had beyond horrendous terms. Eventually I received a capital one preapproval that was quite a bit of a better offer with no AF and 24.99 interest. I opened this card and paid in full every month. Maybe a year or so latter I started receiving discover offers in the mail. It might sound stupid but I never really believed that my credit was actually improving thus I discarded these offers without much thought.

After having the cap1 card for 4 months or so the limit increased a couple hundred bucks from 300 to 500. Then it sat at 500 for more than a year. I eventually tried for an CLI and my limit doubled to 1k. Shortly after this I applied for a discover card and was approved for a card with a 1K limit. Right after the discover card started reporting on my credit reports I got an offer for an Amex green charge card. Shortly thereafter I applied for the Amex PRG charge card and was approved.

So to answer your question it went capital one -> discover -> amex charge card. I totally agree with you that it’s fun to get preapproved offers in the mail. I imagine it only gets better as the quality of the offers improve. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 4 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

My first was Citi TYP (instant approval).  Second was Amex Green (3 weeks after I got Amex PRG).  Third was Amex Gold (2 weeks later than Green).  Fourth and final was First Premier (no comment).

Message 5 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think my first was discover IT via mail , and chase freedom/csp via online pre approval site

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 11
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

For me:  

While rebuilding (score range 550~600)-  Credit One

After (score range 620~ current)- Citi AA, AMEX Green

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 11
Longroad
Established Contributor

Mine was Wal Mart with Chase/SWA just a few days after. And only last week. 

What a feeling.......FINALLY!!!!

Message 8 of 11
madnutz
New Contributor

first offer I beleive was merrick bank, applied with them and got instantly approved for 1k

Message 9 of 11
Zz_JC_zZ
New Contributor

My first was the Citi Diamond Preferred. I didn't go after it, the rates I was offered were not very good, and I wanted to stay in the garden and let my current cards age.
Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776

Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.