cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

tag
Joleybear
Valued Member

What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

Does anyone know of a compilation of responses and data like this online?

*EDIT: I found helpmebuildcredit.com which keeps data it let's people submit when they apply for cards. It shows any information submitted which may include the card they applied for, approved or denied, the Bureau that was pulled, their score, their annual income, the approved starting limit, the city they applied from and their credit age.*

I'm curious as to how score, income and other factors affect offers from different banks. For example, there was a time when I applied for 2 cards close together. For one store card I was offered a modest limit of a couple hundred dollars, but with the other, much better card offered over 5k for start.

I'd like to see some stats if anyone wants to chime in or is interested in hearing from others to compare.

*What was your highest started CL offer?

*What was your FICO score?

*What bank or card was it?

*What was your annual income at the time? (if you're comfortable providing it and if not obviously skip it lol)

*Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

I believe my highest starting limit, not including "pre-approvals", was from Chase which offered me 5.5k in 2020 to open a Disney Premier Visa Rewards account. My credit score had actually declined a bit at the time and was only in the low to mid 600s. The income reported was probably around 60k.

Fun Fact: I was denied so many times before I was approved that I lost count because I didn't know about the 5/24 rule and was opening accounts constantly. 😆

39 REPLIES 39
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

Each one of us are like a fingerprint. No one matches. One could get $10,000 and the other $1000. Apple to oranges. No set starting line no matter the file or scores.

Message 2 of 40
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

$25,000 highest but also had a $300 SL Kohls. Back in the day I had a $150 SL JC Pennys. Wide range.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

Hm interesting... I hate that most preapprovals online don't give you the CL either. I'm approved for some cards that seem popular or sought after so I assume good? But I'm concerned the limits will be too modest for what I am applying to use them for. AMEX Platinum and Gold as well as Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve. I just don't know if they're what I'd like... Evergreen offered a bit lower CL than I want in my pre-approval but a 120k or 80k point deal.

Message 4 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@mitchblue wrote:

$25,000 highest but also had a $300 SL Kohls. Back in the day I had a $150 SL JC Pennys. Wide range.

Same as far as the range. I just find it so weird when it happens back to back and they're like 5k or 10k apart lol

Message 5 of 40
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

As already stated, really hard to compare as everything is profile specific, but I'll play along just for fun:

1. Highest SL (starting limit): Amex BBC, 25k

2. Fico 8 scores at the time: middle score around 780ish 

3. Amex, and it was a soft pull approval ( one of the reasons I love Amex)

4. Income: I've been very fortunate

5. Have the other Amex BCP, was my first (Amex) ever and it had a 20k SL, got it 78 days before the BBC and I had to sit down when I saw that one Smiley Happy.

Other DPs 

Oldest account at the time, 11 yrs

Newest CC account at the time, 8 months

AAoA: 2 years

Mortgage payment: 0 (PIF)

1 open auto loan, 2 closed auto loans at the time, PIF. One of those has since fallen off two of my reports, (EX & TU). EQ coming off this May

1 30 day late on EQ from 6.5 yrs ago, that will soon be gone, no other baddies. 

Message 6 of 40
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

My highest SL is on my CSP, the last card I applied for, $12,000, in 2021.

At the time my TCL was $5k and my highest limit was $3000 so I was a bit surprised.  Scores were in the low 800s, income $90+k, 0/24 at the time.  I had the other 3 cards you see in my siggy at the time, 2 of them Chase cards.

I think Chase is more generous with SLs on their premier cards (Sapphires etc.) than on the more basic cards like the Freedoms.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 7 of 40
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

*What was your highest started CL offer?

$22,000 SL / $25,000 SL (within a couple months of each other)

*What was your FICO score?

Somewhere in the 730's if I recall

*What bank or card was it?

Overstock-Commenity / Navy Federal Credit Union Flagship

*What was your annual income at the time? (if you're comfortable providing it and if not obviously skip it lol)

Est $180k (est 2014)

*Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

1st Comenity account and 1st Navy FCU account at that time 

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 8 of 40
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Highest starting CL : $3000 Cap One Walmart 

Scores at the time : 670 Experian (that's the only one that I can remember)

Income : around 55k

I didn't have another card with Capital One at the time.  $3000 isn't a huge limit but it was the largest limit I had at the time. I remember the 670 Experian score because it was the first time that my credit report said "Good". 

Message 9 of 40
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There isn't a publicly accessible comprehensive compilation of data out on the webs that I'm aware of, but I suppose if someone were sufficiently motivated it would be possible to scrape approval data from various sites and mine it oneself.

I'll point to 2 data points relevant to the topic from MF Approvals.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/instant-approval-for-Avianca-Vuela-Visa-50-00...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Andrews-FCU-Titanium-50K-SL-8-49-APR/m-p/6183...

From memory FICO scores at that time were hovering around 800, DTI maybe high teens, several handfuls of inquiries still reporting ,

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.