cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

tag
Joleybear
Valued Member

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

@Aim_High wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

With good 780+ Ficos

My average starting limits are (~2 times gross monthly income)

That's an interesting way to look at SL metrics, @Kforce.  I've never analyzed them from a GMI perspective, so that adds a new angle. 

I would wager to say I've not had average SLs at 2 x GMI myself, however.  I'm probably closer to 0.75 to 1.25 monthly gross if I were to make a rough guess.  I attribute that to the effects of overall profile/debts in previous years and higher incomes that skew the equation on the other end in more recent years.  (My higher $35K SLs were less than 1x gross monthly household income, but I think I was possibly hitting the upper initial lending ceilings that I discussed on those cards.)  

The idea of 35k per month is so difficult for me to grasp that it makes me rethink my entire career field like I definitely did the wrong thing lmao

Message 21 of 40
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

@Joleybear wrote:  The idea of 35k per month is so difficult for me to grasp that it makes me rethink my entire career field like I definitely did the wrong thing lmao

Lol Smiley Tongue  Well, if it makes you feel any better, @Joleybear, we're talking (gross) not (net take-home) income and we're talking dual-earner household income.  And, for some of us, that's only been reached temporarily in our later peak-earning years.   DW and I just had our taxes completed for 2022 and I don't think you'd want our tax bill either since we fall in the 32% tax bracket for married, filing jointly.   Ouch!  Uncle Sam gets his fair share. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 22 of 40
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

What was your highest started CL offer?

Highest starting limit was actually from my most recent approval. $15,000

What was your FICO score?

741 via Transunion

What bank or card was it?

Alliant Cash Back Visa Signature

What was your annual income at the time?

Around 40k 

Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

No. Plenty of other cards from other financial institutions. 😁

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 23 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@Aim_High wrote:

@Joleybear wrote:  The idea of 35k per month is so difficult for me to grasp that it makes me rethink my entire career field like I definitely did the wrong thing lmao

Lol Smiley Tongue  Well, if it makes you feel any better, @Joleybear, we're talking (gross) not (net take-home) income and we're talking dual-earner household income.  And, for some of us, that's only been reached temporarily in our later peak-earning years.   DW and I just had our taxes completed for 2022 and I don't think you'd want our tax bill either since we fall in the 32% tax bracket for married, filing jointly.   Ouch!  Uncle Sam gets his fair share. 

You're very kind, but it does not because 35k is my spouses annual gross income for 5 people, 3 are kids with special needs Lol. So after 32% you're making his net income per month 😂☠️ We need new careers I'm telling you. I'm almost done with Pharmacy school so while it won't be as impressive as you guys it will be better. 🤷‍♀️ My income right now let's me file taxes but it's not easy because I'm pretty much self employed. I really can't imagine what it's like to even make 15k per month. Lol. If I ever get there in Pharmacy I'll probably be wondering what to do with all that money. 😆 I am not hating on you or anything - that's great and I'm happy for you. I just need to find out how to improve our situation because reading all these high incomes on the boards makes me reconsider my life choices. 😏 OH and I may have found a database? helpmebuildcredit.com let's people submit information.

Message 24 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@MoneyBurns wrote:

What was your highest started CL offer?

Highest starting limit was actually from my most recent approval. $15,000

What was your FICO score?

741 via Transunion

What bank or card was it?

Alliant Cash Back Visa Signature

What was your annual income at the time?

Around 40k 

Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

No. Plenty of other cards from other financial institutions. 😁

Thank you so much for sharing... I have a higher TransUnion score than anything else and I've had trouble finding cards that use TransUnion as their main bureau for initial applications.

Message 25 of 40
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing... I have a higher TransUnion score than anything else and I've had trouble finding cards that use TransUnion as their main bureau for initial applications.

Elan Financial Services only pulled my TU for the Fidelity Rewards Visa.  You'll need an eligible Fidelity account to get the 2% cash-back though.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 26 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@Joleybear wrote:

Elan Financial Services only pulled my TU for the Fidelity Rewards Visa.  You'll need an eligible Fidelity account to get the 2% cash-back though.

I definitely do not have one of those yet. My brother worked for them for years. Random useless fact... lol. I will still look into that because if I decide to apply for a 2nd card, if the first offer is disappointing, I'd rather try a card that uses TransUnion to better my chances.

Message 27 of 40
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

... because reading all these high incomes on the boards makes me reconsider my life choices. 😏 OH and I may have found a database? helpmebuildcredit.com let's people submit information.

We truly do have a very diverse group on My FICO and yes, it can be eye-opening to see some of the differences.  We have some (very) high income and net worth individuals and I'm talking those who far exeed the $35K per month. Smiley Surprised And we have others who barely squeak by on disability income, making less than your household.  Among other variables, that's one reason why it's sometimes difficult for us to accurately compare data points.  For some reason, I think per-capita we have an unusually large number of forum members who have very high incomes or wealth, which gives the false perception that it's more common in society than the facts document.  

Interesting website and thanks for posting that link.  I've never seen that one.  Again, however, that 'database' only shows part of the information I outlined above that a lender may take into consideration, so use it with caution. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 28 of 40
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One Venture gave me $30k SL.

Spent a lot through Savor and QuickSilver before applying.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 29 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@Aim_High wrote:

@Joleybear wrote:

... because reading all these high incomes on the boards makes me reconsider my life choices. 😏 OH and I may have found a database? helpmebuildcredit.com let's people submit information.

We truly do have a very diverse group on My FICO and yes, it can be eye-opening to see some of the differences.  We have some (very) high income and net worth individuals and I'm talking those who far exeed the $35K per month. Smiley Surprised And we have others who barely squeak by on disability income, making less than your household.  Among other variables, that's one reason why it's sometimes difficult for us to accurately compare data points.  For some reason, I think per-capita we have an unusually large number of forum members who have very high incomes or wealth, which gives the false perception that it's more common in society than the facts document.  

Interesting website and thanks for posting that link.  I've never seen that one.  Again, however, that 'database' only shows part of the information I outlined above that a lender may take into consideration, so use it with caution. 

I agree with you, but I think it's a good place to start or if you're indecisive a good tool to assist you in making your decision. If every person with your stats is denied you may want to try another card etc. You're right , I think definitely more common here and I believe maybe people who want to be fiscally responsible,  including maintaining good credit, end up having better income or there's some sort of correlation between those things. Who knows for sure though? That's just my theory.

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.