cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

tag
Joleybear
Valued Member

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Cap One Venture gave me $30k SL.

Spent a lot through Savor and QuickSilver before applying.

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've heard mixed things about Capital One.

Message 31 of 40
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: What was your highest starting credit limit? Does a compilation of stats exist anywhere? 🤔

@Joleybear wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Cap One Venture gave me $30k SL.

Spent a lot through Savor and QuickSilver before applying.

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've heard mixed things about Capital One.

You need to read my post at >this link< and the additional embeded post therein, @Joleybear.  Capital One issues a lot of cards to subprime profiles that are often "bucketed" and will not grow.  (Read this My FICO article on Asset-Backed Securities)  But they also issue a lot of good prime cards.  This is the main reason there is such a divergence of opinion.  Also, they HP all three CRBs for new cards, and they tend to be less flexible than some lenders about consolidating credit limits and product-changing cards.   Their cards also are sometimes difficult to grow, but that is profile-dependent and usage-dependent.  They like to see usage, but then again most lenders do!  You'll see if you read my posts I have good things to say about them also.  They just approved me for an additional $2K CLI on my Quicksilver card to $30K, and I currently have a 12-month 0% APR (with 3% BT) promotion.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 32 of 40
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@Joleybear wrote:

Does anyone know of a compilation of responses and data like this online?

*EDIT: I found helpmebuildcredit.com which keeps data it let's people submit when they apply for cards. It shows any information submitted which may include the card they applied for, approved or denied, the Bureau that was pulled, their score, their annual income, the approved starting limit, the city they applied from and their credit age.*

I'm curious as to how score, income and other factors affect offers from different banks. For example, there was a time when I applied for 2 cards close together. For one store card I was offered a modest limit of a couple hundred dollars, but with the other, much better card offered over 5k for start.

I'd like to see some stats if anyone wants to chime in or is interested in hearing from others to compare.

*What was your highest started CL offer?

*What was your FICO score?

*What bank or card was it?

*What was your annual income at the time? (if you're comfortable providing it and if not obviously skip it lol)

*Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

I believe my highest starting limit, not including "pre-approvals", was from Chase which offered me 5.5k in 2020 to open a Disney Premier Visa Rewards account. My credit score had actually declined a bit at the time and was only in the low to mid 600s. The income reported was probably around 60k.

Fun Fact: I was denied so many times before I was approved that I lost count because I didn't know about the 5/24 rule and was opening accounts constantly. 😆

1. SL- 23.4K in 2022

2. Fico 8 was around 780-790

3. CFU w/ Chase

4. 170K

5. I had a CSR already and a pre-approval with a fixed APR for the CFU(no sl was mentioned). I was in the middle of a 3 app spree and had applied for 2 other cards a few weeks before this one. But they hadn't reported yet so scores were still stable. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 33 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

For some reason, I think per-capita we have an unusually large number of forum members who have very high incomes or wealth, which gives the false perception that it's more common in society than the facts document.  

I have been wondering about that.  My highly detailed fact-based analysis:

1) Perhaps a majority of the more frequent posters do have higher incomes.   Part of that might be those with such incomes eventually may have a richer set of "interesting" credit cards and will have more to say about getting and using features of those cards.

(But there are also frequent posters with much lower incomes)

2) OTOH, the forum is/was has a lot of people rebuilding or recently finished rebuilding.   Now that doesn't correlate directly with income, but people with very high incomes are perhaps less likely to get into credit trouble (or when they do, it is more spectacular!)  

I wonder if there is a difference between say the approvals subforum (where we do see say a CLI from 2k-3K, or an Amex approval at $1k) and the main credit card forum.

[Full detailed fact-based report is available on request when accompanied by valid credit card information]

Message 34 of 40
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Keep in mind that counting All members of ~ 300,000 here,  membership users represent less than 0.01 % of the 300,000,000 US population.

Message 35 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

For some reason, I think per-capita we have an unusually large number of forum members who have very high incomes or wealth, which gives the false perception that it's more common in society than the facts document.  

I have been wondering about that.  My highly detailed fact-based analysis:

1) Perhaps a majority of the more frequent posters do have higher incomes.   Part of that might be those with such incomes eventually may have a richer set of "interesting" credit cards and will have more to say about getting and using features of those cards.

(But there are also frequent posters with much lower incomes)

2) OTOH, the forum is/was has a lot of people rebuilding or recently finished rebuilding.   Now that doesn't correlate directly with income, but people with very high incomes are perhaps less likely to get into credit trouble (or when they do, it is more spectacular!)  

I wonder if there is a difference between say the approvals subforum (where we do see say a CLI from 2k-3K, or an Amex approval at $1k) and the main credit card forum.

[Full detailed fact-based report is available on request when accompanied by valid credit card information]

Lol you made me laugh so thank you. I mean that makes sense I think. I definitely was more likely to be excited about a low approval when my credit was lower. Now I'm greedy and sometimes I'm like why do I want your pathetic 1k card to lower my credit age when I have cards with far more. I've become a bit of a card and sl snob already and my credit isn't even perfect yet. lol

Message 36 of 40
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Highest SL $5k

FICO 8 scores ~670ish@ time of approval

Amex BCP

75 @ time of approval

No

Dirty profile (5yr 3m post filing BK at approval)

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 37 of 40
Joleybear
Valued Member

@Zoostation1 wrote:

Highest SL $5k

FICO 8 scores ~670ish@ time of approval

Amex BCP

75 @ time of approval

No

Dirty profile (5yr 3m post filing BK at approval)

That's awesome. I see a lot of people really love AMEX. I passed them up for the Sapphire Reserve I was just approved for and the SavorOne because of the 2 year Uber Eats membership credit lol... I'm a fatty at heart. But I had to talk myself our of getting a third card in one day Lol

Message 38 of 40
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

*What was your highest started CL offer?

$20K

*What was your FICO score?

780s

*What bank or card was it?

PenFed - Power Cash Rewards Visa

*What was your annual income at the time? (if you're comfortable providing it and if not obviously skip it lol)

~$65K

*Did you have any other cards from the same bank/issuer?

No prior history. I had applied a few years ago while I was rebuilding and was denied.

My DH, who makes about half as much as I do, got a $20K card from NFCU - no prior history but he has pristine credit. He has several cards with credit limits that are 3/4 or more of his annual income. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 39 of 40
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

SL 20K

NFCU Flagship

Score was in the 700s 

Most of my SL are between 5-10k now so that was definitly an outlier 

Last late on my report is over 2 years ago

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.