cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your last CC you were declined/denied for and when?

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

What was your last CC you were declined/denied for and when?

For me, it was Citi DC in Jan 2020.

I was surprised, I was on a role with approvals for a few cards the last 6 months prior, nothing too extravagant.

Seeing that I had the Citi-Costco card 6 months earlier, I thought I would be a shoe in - declined.

Too bad for them. Have since gotten the Amex BBC and that will take care of all my 2% CB needs Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your last CC you were declined/denied for and when?

Alliant Platinum Rewards 9/12. Too much credit seeking. 

Message 2 of 81
blindambition
Senior Contributor

My last denial was in the 90's. Don't remember reason, but thin profile. It was for a JCPenney's card. They did me a favor!! 😊 

Message 3 of 81
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Never / When it happens   Heart

I guess you have to apply to be turned down  Smiley LOL

Edit: No one likes the "Never" answer .

Have not been declined or denied with 50+ years having credit cards / When it happens

Message 4 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recall being declined for a card,  but it may have happened in the early 90a. If you can get your scores well over 800, and HPs low, your chances of decline are small. That way, when you find a card you really want, it's pretty much a slam dunk.

Message 5 of 81
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Kinda weird seeing "Never" answers when question is "what" and "when" 

Anyway, last real denial, Chase maybe 3 years ago. They told me to come back later. I did  and we're friends now.

More recent one was Cash+, but that was approved on recon, so I'm always conflicted on whether that "denial" counts lol 

Denial was for new accounts 

I could totally type my own AA letters 

Message 6 of 81
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't recall being declined for a card,  but it may have happened in the early 90a. If you can get your scores well over 800, and HPs low, your chances of decline are small. That way, when you find a card you really want, it's pretty much a slam dunk.

Except when it isn't!   My last decline was Wells Fargo VS, score was 850 with maybe 2HP, decline reason "Too many non-zero balances" over the last 6 months.

And of course undeclared geo-fencing, as the one before was Golden One a few years back, who at the time didn't mention till I applied that they couldn't issue credit cards in certain states, one of which was mine.   Now I think they only serve CA.

Message 7 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Except when it isn't!   My last decline was Wells Fargo VS, score was 850 with maybe 2HP, decline reason "Too many non-zero balances" over the last 6 months.

And of course undeclared geo-fencing, as the one before was Golden One a few years back, who at the time didn't mention till I applied that they couldn't issue credit cards in certain states, one of which was mine.   Now I think they only serve CA.

Yep, your chances of decline are small with high scores and low HPs.  But they could happen.

The only time I thought I might get a decline was with Propel. My Chase card was maxed out, I PIF and once I saw TU and EQ report 0 balance, I apped. I forgot about checking EX. Got only 10K CL. 

I've heard another poster being declined for the Wells Propel with scores above 800. I never dealt with them before and I figured it wasn't going to be quite a slam dunk.

Message 8 of 81
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Yeah, not seeing the point of "never" answers. Seems like rubbing salt in the wound to me.

I burned Citi years ago on a Best Buy card. Always curious if I was blacklisted since I can't get a Macy's card. Few months ago I tried for the Best Buy card because I was curious. Denied for credit seeking. Only reason they gave. I was pretty surprised.

Message 9 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Yeah, not seeing the point of "never" answers. Seems like rubbing salt in the wound to me.

I burned Citi years ago on a Best Buy card. Always curious if I was blacklisted since I can't get a Macy's card. Few months ago I tried for the Best Buy card because I was curious. Denied for credit seeking. Only reason they gave. I was pretty surprised.

May we will get a couple "always" posters. There are a few out there, usually those new to credit.

Message 10 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.