cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your very first card?

tag
SSMac

Re: What was your very first card?

WF platinum rewards, basic 1%. I had checking/savings with them back in the day. After it lived in the sockdrawer for the last 7+ years, I just PCed it to the Autograph and got a cli up to $4.6k. Kinda nice to have my oldest credit line be useable again.

Message 21 of 90
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Central Carolina Bank (CCB) Student VISA. I think I got a North Carolina National Bank (NCNB) VISA at the same time. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 1.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 22 of 90
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

A Montgomery Wards card, around 1996. I think the limit was $500. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 23 of 90
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

The $100 Macy's card that I detailed here last night. They weren't even classy or thoughtful enough to give me a limit large enough to match the purchase price of the clothing for my mom's funeral. I paid with a few hundred dollar bills. 

I really shoud have walked out of the store and shopped elsewhere. But I was already into my 40s and had no idea how credit worked. For all I knew it could have been a huge black mark on my name if I declined.

However, it had the same impact. I lost all interest in Macy's and have never set foot inside one subsequently. Earlier today I remembered that I did make one small purchase with the card months later, after prompting from my dad. I think I bought a pair of casual pants that were on sale, using an online coupon. That was it and they closed my account a few years later.

No warning. Darn shame. I would have laughed.

Message 24 of 90
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

1967. BankAmericard (now Visa). Think it was a $300 limit but not sure.  Arrived unbidden in the mail one day. I remember they had early problems with people stealing the cards out of mailboxes and having fun.  Eventually, cashiers had to look through printed booklets for card numbers that were on the bad list.

Message 25 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@W261w261 wrote:

1967. BankAmericard (now Visa). Think it was a $300 limit but not sure.  Arrived unbidden in the mail one day. I remember they had early problems with people stealing the cards out of mailboxes and having fun.  Eventually, cashiers had to look through printed booklets for card numbers that were on the bad list.

Wow, 1967. You win this game.

Message 26 of 90
805orbust
Valued Contributor

1987. Old credit union Visa. Weirdest thing, it said "CAP COM FCU" on the front. (Capitol Communications Federal Credit Union) I worked for the phone company for a minute straight outta college. Amex green like 3 weeks later. I was such a bonehead.

Message 27 of 90
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

Mine was a $300 capital one card. I was around 20. Was in school and worked part time. It got up to $800 credit limit. I maxed it and when the $29 or  $39 annual fee hit it put me over the credit limit. I probably got an over the limit fee back then since I do remember owing more than the credit limit a few times. 

bought a lot of pizza and beer on the weekends with that card. It made college life more fun. Once I paid it down, we'd get more food. We would rotate our cards 😀. I was probably pretty profitable to capital one with the interest and fees I paid. 

I eventually paid it off. Capital one never cut my credit line even though I paid late every few months. It worked well for me and capital one. When you are hungry with friends and tired of doing homework and ready to watch movies etc, that available credit was like gold when those pizzas 🍕 were delivered 😎 even if it was as low as $50 

I knocked the stuffing out of that card for being a poor college student with a pretty low limit 

I believe mine was either the American Express Blue student credit card or Mastercard. Had both back in 97 as a freshman in university. Both have long since been closed. Wish I knew back then to do everything in my power to keep those cards open😆

But alas, some bad financial decisions got those cards closed. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 28 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Texaco Gas Card $300 CL (1972) followed by a BankAmericard $300 CL (1973) and a Northwestern National Bank Southwest Master Charge $1,000 CL (1973)    Smiley Surprised

Message 29 of 90
Centurion_Dreamer
New Contributor

Mine was a $1000 secured Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa from BofA in 2020.

Active Cards (TCL 127k):
Message 30 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.