Did you mean: 

What was your very first card?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: What was your very first card?

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

1967. BankAmericard (now Visa). Think it was a $300 limit but not sure.  Arrived unbidden in the mail one day. I remember they had early problems with people stealing the cards out of mailboxes and having fun.  Eventually, cashiers had to look through printed booklets for card numbers that were on the bad list.

I was wondering if anyone was going to chime in with MasterCharge or the OG unsolicited BankAmericard!  (Today known as MasterCard and Visa.)  It's crazy to imagine that today.

Apparently Wells Fargo, Amex, and US Bank didn't get that memo 

Message 41 of 90
lovebackwards
Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

Mine was a $300 capital one card. I was around 20. Was in school and worked part time. It got up to $800 credit limit. I maxed it and when the $29 or  $39 annual fee hit it put me over the credit limit. I probably got an over the limit fee back then since I do remember owing more than the credit limit a few times. 

bought a lot of pizza and beer on the weekends with that card. It made college life more fun. Once I paid it down, we'd get more food. We would rotate our cards 😀. I was probably pretty profitable to capital one with the interest and fees I paid. 

I eventually paid it off. Capital one never cut my credit line even though I paid late every few months. It worked well for me and capital one. When you are hungry with friends and tired of doing homework and ready to watch movies etc, that available credit was like gold when those pizzas 🍕 were delivered 😎 even if it was as low as $50 

I knocked the stuffing out of that card for being a poor college student with a pretty low limit 

It was a $300 Capital One card that I ran up to about $3500 with returned payments almost 10 years ago.

They've since forgiven me and I now have 2 cards with them. Smiley LOL

Starting Score [FICO 9] - Nov 2020    Current FICO 8 Scores - 7/08/2022

Goal Scores

Credit Cards - Total: $10,750

Inquiries - 24 Months                                                   Most Recent Hard Pull

Goal Cards

Gardening since 05/04/2021 - Goal: 24 months
Message 42 of 90
ficosuave
Contributor

Just the classic Capital One Platinum Mastercard. $39 annual fee at the time.

Think it started out with a $500 limit, and was auto-Cli'd to $750 at some point.

Went years with that, perfectly content as my only card, and without rewards.

Wasn't until the last 5-6 years that I gained a new perspective on credit cards and expanded my horizons. Probably overdid it a bit trying to make up for lost time.

Still have that original account, it's now a no-fee Quicksilver that I've somehow managed to slowly break the $5k credit line barrier on.

Message 43 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ficosuave wrote:

Just the classic Capital One Platinum Mastercard. $39 annual fee at the time.

Think it started out with a $500 limit, and was auto-Cli'd to $750 at some point.

Went years with that, perfectly content as my only card, and without rewards.

Wasn't until the last 5-6 years that I gained a new perspective on credit cards and expanded my horizons. Probably overdid it a bit trying to make up for lost time.

Still have that original account, it's now a no-fee Quicksilver that I've somehow managed to slowly break the $5k credit line barrier on.

Excellent way to hang on to an old account. That's how it's done.

Message 44 of 90
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Back in 1994 when I was 20... I don't remember the bank... but it was a green colored Visa card with a $300 limit and I was charged $8 a month as a monthly fee to help "build my credit."

It sounds like Credit One but I'd remember that name...  at any rate... account was a few years later IIRC.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 45 of 90
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Back in 1994 when I was 20... I don't remember the bank... but it was a green colored Visa card with a $300 limit and I was charged $8 a month as a monthly fee to help "build my credit."

It sounds like Credit One but I'd remember that name...  at any rate... account was a few years later IIRC.

Account was....closed? a few years later? Smiley Tongue

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 46 of 90
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Mine was a $300 Capital One card, as well. Got it last year. And while I was able to use the link to upgrade the card to a Quicksilver after about 6 months, they haven't budged on the SL. One day, I hope to grow it to $301.

Message 47 of 90
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Wells Fargo Student card, Visa I believe.  I think I had the student savings and checking too.  I don't recall the card having any kind of cash back benefits.  This was circa mid 90s.  I believe it had an annual fee, waived the first year and, for years down the road, calling in and asking for the AF to be removed worked..... until it didn't. 

Not waiving my AF bothered me so much, I closed the account, walked in to Wells Fargo, emptied my paltry savings and checking, literally walked across the parking lot to Washington Mutual who later became Chase which is where I still am today with 6 figures invested with them.  Wells let a young, broke customer walk and it cost them a future adult middle class customer, lol.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 48 of 90
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Amex student card with a $500 CL, thought it would have some sophisticated use when I studied abroad, but never really used it. Doesn't make sense to me how kids rack up credit card bills, when I had little money there was no way I was going to pay interest

Message 49 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

Perhaps it was First Premier Bank.

Message 50 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.