Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your very first card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your very first card?

@Anonymalous wrote:

Mine was a $300 Capital One card, as well. Got it last year. And while I was able to use the link to upgrade the card to a Quicksilver after about 6 months, they haven't budged on the SL. One day, I hope to grow it to $301.

Hilarious 

Message 51 of 90
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Account was....closed? a few years later? Smiley Tongue

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps it was First Premier Bank.

Nah I'd remember that one too.  What I do remember is having to go to some credit education class prior to getting this card.  It was almost 30 years ago now and I do remember closing it because I got better cards that didn't have the fees.  Can't remember what bank it was though.

Funny how you remember some things and not others...  I don't miss the dialup AOL connection or mailing in my credit card payments back in those days.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 52 of 90
link

Elan financial,  Visa Platinum $1,500. CL

Applied at my bank. 

Message 53 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm an Air Force brat so my first card was a military star card. It could only be used on base at a store called bx(base exchange) so I spent a lot in money on cds, dvds, clothes, and shoes. My limit was 1500. It was like a million dollars to me as a teen.

I did get a capital one platinum 3 years later. I think my limit was 800. I saw the words platinum and I thought I was on the same level as an Amex platinum, lol.

Message 54 of 90
markhs777
Regular Contributor

Always wondered why companies would mail sophomores in college pre approved card offers. Mine was a Phillips 66 card that could be used at Quality Inns among other places. Didn't turn out well for the card issuer.

Message 55 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an Air Force brat so my first card was a military star card. It could only be used on base at a store called bx(base exchange) so I spent a lot in money on cds, dvds, clothes, and shoes. My limit was 1500. It was like a million dollars to me as a teen.

I did get a capital one platinum 3 years later. I think my limit was 800. I saw the words platinum and I thought I was on the same level as an Amex platinum, lol.

@Anonymous  That's great. I'm retired Air Force, and have the Military Star card too. I got mine in 1994, except back then in was called DPP.

Message 56 of 90
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

1st department store card: The Bon Marche (very first card, 18yo)

1st bank-issued card: Seafirst Bank (19yo)

1st CU-issued card: Seattle Telco

1st charge card: AMEX Green

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 57 of 90
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

I was a junior in college in 1989 and friends were talking about credit, someone said to get a gas card to start building your credit. So I applied and was approved for a BP gas card for $500, even though I was still riding my bicycle to and from the dorms to class. I wish I had learned the rest of the credit story. Oh well better late than never👌😊

Message 58 of 90
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

@markhs777 wrote:

Always wondered why companies would mail sophomores in college pre approved card offers. Mine was a Phillips 66 card that could be used at Quality Inns among other places. Didn't turn out well for the card issuer.

There was a period of really easy credit in the 2000s  3 of my first 4 credit cards (Cap 1, Citi, Disc) were all opened during my college yrs and my second card that was opened in a year I made under $5k part time grew to a 20.6K limit (Citi had me at a 30k limit over 2 cards before my income had reached $30k).  The CLI party ended in mid-late 2009 and things hit the fan for me in 2012 (unfortunately I didn't deal with it for 5 yrs, plus almost 4 after that to start rebuilding and here we are now).  This time around it's PIF or don't make the purchase.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
March 2024 FICO 8:
March 2024 FICO 9:
Message 59 of 90
mgood
Valued Contributor

Mervyn's store card.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 771, TU8 766, EX8 775 as of March 27
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE5 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 2/6, 4/12, 6/24
Message 60 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.