Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will my first AF card be(combo)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will my first AF card be(combo)?

Got denied Barclays Hawaiian hooked by massive 70k miles sub for ANY spend but maybe blessing in disguise, I haven't flown that airline once lol. 

Since I'm a frugal spender generally no use for AF cards but who knows if benefits are worth it(for example I now see that for airline/hotel, AF cards are better; earning structure doesn't really matter, what matters is benefits like preferrred boarding, domestic free checked bag, lounge access, companion pass, free hotel stay, etc. The catch is I fly solo and don't check bags lol, personal item and carry-on are enough and I never had trouble stowing bags even 2 lol above the bins, so preferred boarding is rather useless. Unless I get to sit at the front that is!).

Baby steps so should start with cards with low AFs around 100. And should consider pairing with existing cards for synergy;

CSP paired with CFF, no chance now lol, in 5/24 jail(10/24!). 

Citi Premier paired with Citi DC, this is the least exciting for me, since the nerf and mostly foreign airline partners. I mean hotel credit for $500 per stay??! How is that 'frugal' lol, beats the purpose! Excessive for a mere $95 card I say! I would rather have Rewards+ and CC, now can get it PCing DC and MileUp in the future(if I don't care for those good subs).

Venture paired with Savor One, I love erasure feature, want to use it lol. I'm now pretty much intrigued with point system/travel card. Have enough cashback cards already(only categories missing are phone bill/gym/transit/gas and CFF and Disco CB can cover those in some quarters).

US Bank Connect, currently no cards from them and don't think this is too enticing, Cash + is for now the only card I want to get from them.

BOA Premium, ditto as USB, but isn't this hard to get. Also 3/12 for non-customers and I'm now at 5/12. I like BOA's Museum on Us feature and luv the design, so do want to get one, probably TR.

AMEX BCP, earning structure is nice but I don't spend on grocery THAT much. BCE is a better fit for me. Have no cards with them, the same as BOA(USB at least I got approved for secured Cash + before panicking and cancelling it lol). Not really interested in EDP either.

Generally I would rather have AF airline cards than the above ones lol(Hotels I never stay on those major brands, cheap ones like Super 8 and Motel 6 sometimes lol, which card does it cover? Can't remember). Delta Gold has great sub now but the thing is Delta is the least used major airline for me lol, have ridden only once!

Spirit is generally my go-to airline lol booking on Expedia looking for the cheapest fare, followed by AA. So BOA Spirit Travel More could be a good fit but heard their miles are valued rather low, despite having a good sub right now. And no free checked bag either even with 79 fee from the 2nd yr.

Would like to get Barclays AA for the EASIEST sub lol but already got denied twice, this card in Jan. and Hawaiian just now Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What will my first AF card be(combo)?

@Anonymous wrote:

Got denied Barclays Hawaiian hooked by massive 7k sub for ANY spend but maybe blessing in disguise, I haven't flown that airline once lol. 

Since I'm a frugal spender generally no use for AF cards but who knows if benefits are worth it(for example I now see that for airline/hotel, AF cards are better; earning structure doesn't really matter, what matters is benefits like preferrred boarding, domestic free checked bag, lounge access, companion pass, free hotel stay, etc. The catch is I fly solo and don't check bags lol, personal item and carry-on are enough and I never had trouble stowing bags even 2 lol above the bins, so preferred boarding is rather useless. Unless I get to sit at the front that is!).

Baby steps so should start with cards with low AFs around 100. And should consider pairing with existing cards for synergy;

Citi Premier paired with Citi DC, this is the least exciting for me, since the nerf and mostly foreign airline partners. I would rather have Rewards+ and CC, now can get it PCing DC and MileUp in the future(if I don't care for those good subs).

Venture paired with Savor One, I love erasure feature, want to use it lol. I'm now pretty much intrigued with point system/travel card. Have enough cashback cards already(only categories missing are phone bill/gym/transit/gas and CFF and Disco CB can cover those in some quarters).

US Bank Connect, currently no cards from them and don't think this is too enticing, Cash + is for now the only card I want to get from them.

BOA Premium, ditto as USB, but isn't this hard to get. Also 3/12 for non-customers and I'm now at 5/12. I like BOA's Museum on Us feature and luv the design, so do want to get one, probably TR.

AMEX BCP, earning structure is nice but I don't spend on grocery THAT much. BCE is a better fit for me. Have no cards with them, the same as BOA(USB at least I got approved for secured Cash + before panicking and cancelling it lol). Not really interested in EDP either.

Generally I would rather have AF airline cards than the above ones lol(Hotels I never stay on those major brands, cheap ones like Super 8 and Motel 6 sometimes lol, which card does it cover? Can't remember). Delta Gold has great sub now but the thing is Delta is the least used major airline for me lol, have ridden only once!

Spirit is generally my go-to airline lol booking on Expedia looking for the cheapest fare, followed by AA. So BOA Spirit Travel More could be a good fit but heard their miles are valued rather low, despite having a good sub right now. And no free checked bag either even with 79 fee from the 2nd yr.

Would like to get Barclays AA for the EASIEST sub lol but already got denied twice, this card in Jan. and Hawaiian just now Smiley Indifferent

If Spirit Airlines is your go-to airline, it seems to me that the Spirit Airlines credit card, with a $79 annual fee, should be your first stop. https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/spirit-airlines-credit-card/

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Got denied Barclays Hawaiian hooked by massive 7k sub for ANY spend but maybe blessing in disguise, I haven't flown that airline once lol. 

Citi Premier paired with Citi DC, this is the least exciting for me, since the nerf and mostly foreign airline partners. I would rather have Rewards+ and CC, now can get it PCing DC and MileUp in the future(if I don't care for those good subs).

If Spirit Airlines is your go-to airline, it seems to me that the Spirit Airlines credit card, with a $79 annual fee, should be your first stop. https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/spirit-airlines-credit-card/

yep, sub is quite nice, but only preferred boarding for AF, not good! I mean I can't even bring carry on free unlike other airlines, only personal item(backpack)!  Could use it free for the 1st yr then downgrade to tackier yellow no AF one after the fee posts? 

Message 3 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

yep, sub is quite nice, but only preferred boarding for AF, not good! I mean I can't even bring carry on free unlike other airlines, only personal item(backpack)!  Could use it free for the 1st yr then downgrade to tackier yellow no AF one after the fee posts? 

What's the value of being able to bring a carry on with you on an airline you don't use? At least with this card you'll be able to accumulate points for free flights.

Message 4 of 22
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Based on your info I would say working with chase since they control swa. Is there a chase branch near you if so just walk in and see if you are preapproved for their core cards. I actually got my first chase cards when I was lol/24, maybe what swung it was that I had a existing checking account there.

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the value of being able to bring a carry on with you on an airline you don't use?

Huh? I was talking about Spirit, which I use most often! They don't allow carry on free, unlike other major airlines, you have to pay a fee and you would think an AF credit card will allow that! So that's one reason I'm NOT too fond of that card! Black one LOOKS nice though, lol.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hoben02 wrote:

Based on your info I would say working with chase since they control swa. Is there a chase branch near you if so just walk in and see if you are preapproved for their core cards. I actually got my first chase cards when I was lol/24, maybe what swung it was that I had a existing checking account there.

Oh Chase is everywhere lol, yeah could try I guess, haven't been to a branch(I've been to US Bank and BOA to discuss cards).  Unfortunately I don't have checking acct there, that's a nice DP, thx for it! I haven't actually BOOKED SWA, even once lol, but the flight from McAllen to LA? was nice enough(altenate with the help of Frontier svc team when THAT Frontier flight got cancelled lol). I actually would just like my CFF to get a CLI once and for all lol, but I guess bank employees at the branch have no control over it Smiley Sad  If they allow SP CLI lol in-branch, that would be nice!

Message 7 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the value of being able to bring a carry on with you on an airline you don't use?

Huh? I was talking about Spirit, which I use most often! They don't allow carry on free, unlike other major airlines, you have to pay a fee and you would think an AF credit card will allow that! So that's one reason I'm too fond of that card! Black one LOOKS nice though, lol.

What I'm saying is, if other major airlines cards would give you a free carry on, what good is that to you if you're not really interested in flying with those airlines?

I understand you're not too fond of the Spirit card, but since you are fond of Spirit then why not just go with it? You'll be getting free flights and advance boarding and some companion passes.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Huh? I was talking about Spirit, which I use most often! They don't allow carry on free, unlike other major airlines, you have to pay a fee and you would think an AF credit card will allow that! So that's one reason I'm too fond of that card! Black one LOOKS nice though, lol.

What I'm saying is, if other major airlines cards would give you a free carry on, what good is that to you if you're not really interesting in flying with those airlines?

I understand you're not too fond of the Spirit card, but since you are fond of Spirit then why not just go with it? You'll be getting free flights and advance boarding and some companion passes.

Oh Smiley LOL yeah Delta Gold for example! Sub is definitely nice but it's an expensive airline, thus I've only booked it once via Expedia lol. Hence, though it IS a good card, not a good fit for me. 

And yes logically Spirit is the most appropriate since I fly it most. Companion pass is worthless since I fly solo, but I CAN rack up miles at least I guess!

Message 9 of 22
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

For domestic it's tough to beat the swa cards all have an annual bonus that covers most of the annual fee. Also, if you can get on their targeted list can get 5x quarterly for gas, grocery, etc. Also, with swa the ease to book and cancel flights with no penalty is great I will book multiple flights knowing that I may cuhange my mind and they refund the points back with no penalty unlike the majors. 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.