cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be next best credit card for me?

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: What would be next best credit card for me?

US-Bank-Cash-Plus-Categories.png

If you Google the US Bank Cash+ rewards categories, you can find this on AwardWallet.

The 5% catories are quarterly rotating just like Discover and Chase Freedom, however, you get 2x 5% categories!

So, like I say, if your other categories are covered by other cards, this is perfect for Utilities and Cell Phone. And of course, there's the 2% category, should you need it.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 11 of 27
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Do you know if it is allowed to repeat the same categories every quarter or do you have to switch? Any idea if cable is included in utilities? If so, I could probably get close the the max $100 per quarter (5% of $2k). I'd get the card just for those categories and probably not use it for anything else.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 12 of 27
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

You can keep the same 5% categories year-round if you choose to do so. But if you want to change them for any reason, you have to do it quarterly. I'm not sure if the utilities include cable.....I checked the terms of condition on the US Bank site and it makes no mention of it. I'm sure you could call US Bank to get clarification.

Added note: I know for me, my internet is AT&T and satelite DirecTV, which are now linked together, so I have them bundled. AT&T/DirecTV accepts credit card payments, however they charge a fee to do so. Can't remember the fee off-hand, but ultimately it would offset any cashback you gained, so I've never payed via CC. (My power company does the same thing which really sucks) Just something to for you to check out first....

This info could be useful to the OP and others as well, so I don't think it's going off-topic too much.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 13 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

The 5% catories are quarterly rotating just like Discover and Chase Freedom, however, you get 2x 5% categories!

So, like I say, if your other categories are covered by other cards, this is perfect for Utilities and Cell Phone. And of course, there's the 2% category, should you need it.

You explained more in a later post. but I wouldn't use that terminology.  Discover/Freedom rotate whether you like it or not, whereas Cash+ categories are generally available all quarters (except when discontinued).    But yes, you have to select each quarter so that bit is the same.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @brutal
Fico credit score source Bofa and discover
Transunion and equifax source
Credit Karma, wallet hub, capital one credit wise
Message 15 of 27
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Credit Karma, Wallet Hub, and Credit Wise provide Vantage Scores. No lender uses them, so they can be disregarded. All three sites provide nice report information, though.

Discover can provide you with two FICOs. A Transunion FICO is available within your account. And an Experian FICO is available through Discover Credit Scorecard, which is available whether one has a Discover card or not.

No matter, though. We can tell where you're at via the details in your original post. The only cause for concern right now is your new accounts. Let those age, and you'll be in a great position for your next card.

Message 16 of 27
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

You can keep the same 5% categories year-round if you choose to do so. But if you want to change them for any reason, you have to do it quarterly. I'm not sure if the utilities include cable.....I checked the terms of condition on the US Bank site and it makes no mention of it. I'm sure you could call US Bank to get clarification.

Added note: I know for me, my internet is AT&T and satelite DirecTV, which are now linked together, so I have them bundled. AT&T/DirecTV accepts credit card payments, however they charge a fee to do so. Can't remember the fee off-hand, but ultimately it would offset any cashback you gained, so I've never payed via CC. (My power company does the same thing which really sucks) Just something to for you to check out first....

Thanks, I did some digging and found this page:

https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

Cable/internet are explicitly excluded from utilities. I'll have to check but if I can pay power, water, and cell without fees I can still average $500 to $600 per month in those two 5% categories, which would be worth doing. I'll need to hold off a little though because there's a Chase card I want to get before I go over 5/24, but in a couple of months I'll probably get this.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FlaDude wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Thanks, I did some digging and found this page:

https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

Cable/internet are explicitly excluded from utilities. I'll have to check but if I can pay power, water, and cell without fees I can still average $500 to $600 per month in those two 5% categories, which would be worth doing. I'll need to hold off a little though because there's a Chase card I want to get before I go over 5/24, but in a couple of months I'll probably get this.

Thanks for digging that up, you just axed my interest in getting this card entirely and saved me some major disappointment. 

Sorry OP, you’re getting fantastic advice and I don’t have anything else to add. 

Message 18 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

https://cashplus.usbank.com/offer/all

Smiley Indifferent

Ugh! I have read this multiple times here and I keep spacing it anyway. Thanks for the reminder!

Guess I’ll be hopping that garden fence again after all. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.