Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

So of course chase and discover both offer 5 percent chase back this quarter for gas stations and commuter expenseses. Currently my discover is double cash back so essentially it's 10 percent cash back.

What would you guys do use discover for the double cash back this quarter or use chase to get 5 percent cash back to maximize CSP.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

More money is better than less money.

Message 2 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

Um yes, but some people value 5 UR > 10 cents.   So to the OP, guess it depends on how much you value them!

Message 3 of 31
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

Um yes, but some people value 5 UR > 10 cents.   So to the OP, guess it depends on how much you value them!

+1 

I would be one of those people that value UR points at minimum 2 points each

So when redeeming one could get more than the 10 cents 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 31
yfan
Valued Contributor

You can look at what you value UR points as and then decide. While doing your own evaluation, keep a few things in mind that I feel are often missed in CPP evaluations:

First, the value of cash sales that you can't get with points. For example, if your travel plans aren't set in stone, combine flexible planning with cash sales. If it costs a lot in cash to fly to Paris, making use of fixed points a great value but there's a cash sale for tickets to Hong Kong where using points would be pointless, did you really get a good value by going to Paris when you've always also wanted to see Hong Kong?

Second, following the above point, cash is liquid and available to you earlier generally. Unlike point currencies, you don't have to hold it for a long time to build value. In the above example, if you take the cash, you may well find you're ready to go on the trip sooner because of the extra liquidity.

Your call, but be careful about putting a lot of stock into CPP evaluations on travel blogs. Always do your own based on your goals.
Message 5 of 31
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I would be one of those people that value UR points at minimum 2 points each

Apart from ditto, my scattered pocket change tends to blend into everyday life and wasted on extra cups of coffee that I don't need, while long-term UR points amount to a trip every so often which I have come to appreciate.

Message 6 of 31
Aahz
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

In which case more money is still better then less money.

I specifically din't pick a card because everyone values UR differently so which card provides more money and which card provides less money is user dependent.

Message 7 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

In which case more money is still better then less money.

I specifically din't pick a card because everyone values UR differently so which card provides more money and which card provides less money is user dependent.

OK, but  then "More money is better than less money" while being obvious doesn't really address the OPs question...

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in the same boat.. Im going Discover. Its 10% regardless how you redeem.. and Discover has been great to me. F chase.
Message 9 of 31
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So of course chase and discover both offer 5 percent chase back this quarter for gas stations and commuter expenseses. Currently my discover is double cash back so essentially it's 10 percent cash back.

What would you guys do use discover for the double cash back this quarter or use chase to get 5 percent cash back to maximize CSP.

Like many posters here have said already..

Depends on how you value your URs.

Personally, I have both, and you can bet your bottom dollar I value UR more than cash back. So I am going with the Freedom, but to each their own I guess.

EDIT: Or for the first year, since Discover is matching it, use the Discover, and the following year, use the Freedom?

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.