Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

@yfan wrote:

First, the value of cash sales that you can't get with points. For example, if your travel plans aren't set in stone, combine flexible planning with cash sales. If it costs a lot in cash to fly to Paris, making use of fixed points a great value but there's a cash sale for tickets to Hong Kong where using points would be pointless, did you really get a good value by going to Paris when you've always also wanted to see Hong Kong?

I have some sympathy with this, but the question is where do you draw the line.    So I am all set to use cash for this great price to Hong Kong, when I see that my local dealer has a huge discount on the 2018 Toyota Camry (in Lime Green!)    Is that cash sale to Hong Kong such a good value when I also really want the Camryand don't have cash for both?

So to my mind, best compare like with like:   if I am thinking about a trip to Paris, compare cash and point fares just for that.   I might be able to get a great point deal or cash deal to another destination, and focussing may have an opportunity cost, but not focussing can lead to paralysis.

Another common argument against valuations does make more sense to me, so much so that I don't get to a conclusion!    I can get a first-class flight to my dream destination (Elizabeth, NJ say) for 200K points, and the cash price is $20K, wow, that's 10cpp!   But would I pay $20K for the flight?  One school of thought is decide what I would be willing to pay (so $5K) and use that for the valuation.   On the other hand, I AM getting a flight that WOULD cost $20K (I can't get it for $5k) , so that should be the basis for the valuation

Message 11 of 31
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

So I am all set to use cash for this great price to Hong Kong, when I see that my local dealer has a huge discount on the 2018 Toyota Camry (in Lime Green!)    Is that cash sale to Hong Kong such a good value when I also really want the Camryand don't have cash for both?

That's my point, actually. If to you, the value of the Camry here and now is better than a vacation, then go for the Camry, by all means. Cash gives you that option. You can't buy a Camry with UR points. This is why I'm stressing the need for individual valuations.

@longtimelurker wrote:

So to my mind, best compare like with like:   if I am thinking about a trip to Paris, compare cash and point fares just for that.   I might be able to get a great point deal or cash deal to another destination, and focussing may have an opportunity cost, but not focussing can lead to paralysis.

I was comparing like with like: flight to one destination with another. And it's not like I was suggesting an alternative vacation in Pyongyang. Focus is fine, but to me, focus on the goal. What's the goal here? For me, the goal is to see a new place, have fun, enjoy myself. It does not have to be a particular destination. For you though, if the opportunity cost of flexibility is so high that it leads to paralysis, you should stick to points. That, however, doesn't mean everyone should.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Another common argument against valuations does make more sense to me, so much so that I don't get to a conclusion!    I can get a first-class flight to my dream destination (Elizabeth, NJ say) for 200K points, and the cash price is $20K, wow, that's 10cpp!   But would I pay $20K for the flight?  One school of thought is decide what I would be willing to pay (so $5K) and use that for the valuation.   On the other hand, I AM getting a flight that WOULD cost $20K (I can't get it for $5k) , so that should be the basis for the valuation

I'm ambivalent about that. It depends on how much I really value being in first class. Do think it's worth $20K, even if I don't have the money to pay for it? If the experience is worth it to you, then again, you have made the right choice by going with points for yourself. I am rarely awake long enough in flights to enjoy any of the extras, so I'm less impressed by that curtain that closes to First Class.

My entire argument is one has to decide what is most valuable to them. I have suggested they factor in the benefits of cash which are less obvious along with the benefits of points which are more so.

Message 12 of 31
yfan
Valued Contributor

I should also mention that Discover's cashback is not only redeemable as cash. It is also redeemable for gift cards, which provide a minimum $5 discount from the face value of the card, instantly resulting in an 11% (the worst value on those is $45 cashback rewards for a $50 card) to 100% (certain Cruiseline gift cards double the value) jump in evaluations. These may or may not be as desirable to flights, but if we are going to compare highest possible redemption values, these have to be taken into account too.

Message 13 of 31
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I'm not a Chase cards fan (as the APRs on the 2 cards I have with them are approaching 25% V) and I still have the double-cashback promo that was offered with my Discover card, so I'm for Team Discover Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 31
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I'm not a Chase cards fan (as the APRs on the 2 cards I have with them are approaching 25% V) and I still have the double-cashback promo that was offered with my Discover card, so I'm for Team Discover Smiley Happy

Which is understandable based on your spending habits. Op, needs to first figure out what kind of spending will he do. Carry a balance, PIF, etc etc..

While also figuring out what is important to him.. liquidity, or racking up enough points to travel (again, based on his monthly spending), a lot of variables in play.

So if you could give us more details on all that OP, the posters here cn give their opinions from a non biased side.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

There seems to have been some confusion through out the post. I am only wondering about the Q1 bonus. I typically spend about 80-100 dollars a week at a gas station between gas and various other things. It would equally about 40 dollars max a month with discover double your cash back. I PIF on my chase freedom card since I only use it if the quarter fits my needs and don't carry a balance unless it's a small one due to the cut of date. Discover I am carrying a ten percent balance due to the zero apr and Christmas shopping. I do travel a lot and use my CSP to greatly reduce my travel spending. Don't always opt to blow points on first class. Still have 6 flights coming up with in the next three months and currently still have about 135,000 UR points.

Discover would double the 5 percent but that won't be till October of 2017. I am thinking because I travel often the immediately UR value is a bigger pay of in the short run and long term. Considering my cash back after would be about 120 max with the cash back. About a little less then one way flying to the east coast.
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also considering with the CSP the 5 percent would equal about 7.5 on average I don't know if the extra 2.5 would be worth holding off on using the freedom.
Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Q1 also includes Wholesale Clubs such as BJ's and Sam's Club (and Costco.com I think). I'll be using my Discover exclusively for BJ's and my Chase Freedom for Gas and Ground Transportation this quarter to maximize rewards.
Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right creditftw. Just for my neither of those for my spending habits. Can't really justify bulk purchases for two people. Maybe if Amex offers the 40 bucks back for Sam Clubs again I'll jump on it then
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco-hands down
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.