Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What would you do Chase 5% or Discover 5%

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover Q1 also includes Wholesale Clubs such as BJ's and Sam's Club (and Costco.com I think). I'll be using my Discover exclusively for BJ's and my Chase Freedom for Gas and Ground Transportation this quarter to maximize rewards.

Same here (Sam's). Except I've only got a $400 limit on the Discover, so no non-wholesale spending on it until the Quarter-max is reached. It won't be difficult to hit the $1500 with the Discover this quarter, but will require a little managing.  

If Discover really is as conservative in how they want you to use cards as people here say, I don't think they are going to like me much this Quarter.

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You're right creditftw. Just for my neither of those for my spending habits. Can't really justify bulk purchases for two people. Maybe if Amex offers the 40 bucks back for Sam Clubs again I'll jump on it then

It's just my wife and I in our home and most of my Sam's spending is for the business, but there are some great ways it makes sense for a 2-person household.

Do you guys eat much steak? If you do, go buy a whole ribeye (or tenderloin if you like it more) and have them cut it into steaks for you. Freeze each steak individually. Takes a little time, but it's totally worth it, imo. It's about $8.XX/lb for a nice Choice grade Ribeye at Sam's. As good as I can get at the grocery store, and a lot cheaper (Choice Ribeye at the store runs around $13/lb here). On a random week night if I'm in the mood to grill a steak (or go cast iron if it's cold rainy out), there's some at the house ready to thaw quickly, and don't have to run to the store.

Depending on the size, a whole ribeye will set you back $175-200, so Q1 is a good time to get 1 or 3. 

Sam's is also a great place to get rice and beans. Huge bag of pintos is about $6. You can get outstanding deals on Jasmine and Basmati rice (I love rice, and just can't go back to regular white rice). Huge bags, but they last forever. Plenty of other non-perishables as well. Cereals, cannged goods, snacks, chips. I can't go without always having the huge can of Planter's mixed nuts around.

Not sure if you are in the first year with your Discover, but if you are, you're looking at 12% back this Quarter (Sam's does 2% back anyway). Good time to explore some things there.

Message 22 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would CHASE the DISCOVERSmiley Wink
Message 23 of 31
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I would DISCOVER the CHASE. Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

The entire whole sale club things doesn't make a huge difference, if it fits your needs. Unfortunately for my lifestyle and my SOs life style it doesn't. With city living we don't have the room for the bulk purchases and when we do cook at home we either go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for grocery shopping. Between our life styles and work schedule we do tend to eat out more and spend about 3/4 nights a week going to a restaurant of some sorts either for us or work dinners
Message 25 of 31
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Excuse my ignorance, but why not buy a bunch of gift cards, and think of it as prepaying for gas?

Since its just a Q, so get enough gift cards for 1500.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@random because that's MS and I am not a churner. Personally I don't agree with it and it is out of my spending habits and don't want it to be red flagged. Also, in pretty sure it is not encouraged on this forum
Message 27 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous because that's MS and I am not a churner. Personally I don't agree with it and it is out of my spending habits and don't want it to be red flagged. Also, in pretty sure it is not encouraged on this forum

Buying retail (as compared to cash equivalent gift cards) isn't really MS.  But if you feel there is a risk, fine.

Message 28 of 31
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

To each their own, I guess. I think of it like a sale. I buy multiple things.

Because in the long run, it will benefit me.

Im not cheating, I'm just getting more points for gas than I would have..

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with those who chooses Discover over Chase. i have both cards and personally, Discover's customer service is more flexible and kind compared to the many folks I've talked to over at Chase. Plus, I like cash back more than the points chase offers. 

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.