cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do if Wells Fargo bought out Discover Card?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

What would you do if Wells Fargo bought out Discover Card?

Rumors are circulating.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/discover-makes-sense-for-wells-fargo-analyst-2012-09-05

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
firesoul453
Contributor

Re: What would you do if Wells Fargo bought out Discover Card?

Not sure, I don't have a good feeling about it.

More competition is better, and there definetly isn't too much competiton for network processors (Just imagine if amex went unchallenged back in the day!)

But not sure. I don't think it would end up helping me (the end consumer) in any way.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 2 of 11
MCHammerFan
Established Member

I don't have a good feeling about it either, and why would Discover want to expand into the student loan business? Student loans these days aren't exactly "AAA" material.

EXP 787 Equifax 779 TU 768
Message 3 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@MCHammerFan wrote:

I don't have a good feeling about it either, and why would Discover want to expand into the student loan business? Student loans these days aren't exactly "AAA" material.

There is good money to be made on less than AAA rated loans... especially with students that may only think about what they want and not what it costs long term, and So will carry a balance despite the 25% interest rate, " its only $25 a month"  for the reset of my life, but I will get a good job and pay it all off...

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

From business standpoint, Discover-WF alliance/merger certainly makes sense.

As a consumer though, I hope not.

Message 5 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I bank with wells and have a card with them, so if it bumped up their cards and made them better I would certainly be for it....whether or not it would actually do that I am uncertain about

Message 6 of 11
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Federally backed student loans can only benefit the lender. If the borrower defaults, the lender is compensated by the government. Plus, WF's student loan profile leans heavily towards parent-initiated "plus" loans, med school loans and loans for traditional four year undergraduate education (ie not U of Phoenix). They are a relatively conservative lender when it comes to student loans.

As for the OP's question, I'm indifferent. I bank with WF due to wife's long-standing relationship with them and had a secured card with them for a while. Their underwriting is very computer-driven, so recon is virtually impossible. If it meant linking my discover to checking/savings/mortgage accounts, great. Otherwise, no big deal either way.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

I like my Discover where it is, thank you.  When Capital One bought out ING's American business, I was not happy.  Thankfully, they haven't messed it up, yet.  (other than screwing with the website to make it "better")

WF charged fees on a closed account and sent me to collections back in 2003.  I'm not a fan.

Message 8 of 11
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I surely hope this not happens. not that I care but merging them would not bring us much benefits if any.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 9 of 11
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

As a consumer, I don't think we'd see too much difference.

The Discover brand and product line would continue on basically untouched.  In addition, Wells Fargo might start issuing WF Discover cards.

I think the only real difference we'd see as consumers is that WF's debit cards would probably be on the Discover network instead of Visa.  I think WF would probably keep issuing the Visa CC's they currently offer, but I guess it's possible that they'd be discontinued.

I have a WF Visa and a Discover, and I'm very happy with both; I hope neither one gets changed around too much.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.