Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you want in your credit card resume

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: What would you want in your credit card resume

@happypill wrote:

I do agree that some cards have cachet, but I disagree that Wells Fargo is among them.  If Capital One cards are McDonald's, then Wells Fargo's are at best Chipotle; they are certainly not French Laundry.

Each person will have a different definition, but the cards I prize most are those that give rewards that are unequaled by other competitors.  As far as I know, Wells Fargo doesn't offer anything special, and in fact most of their cards are not competitive at all, to say nothing of market leading.

Wells Fargo is also known for horrible customer service and onerous policies that crush their holders' wills to live (ok, that last part might be an exaggeration).  The best card issuers treat their customers right, Wells Fargo treats their customers like the bottom of a baby's diaper.

As in "E. Coli" -- witty Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 74
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Did anyone mention that the OP should have told the loan officer that Wells Fargo may be like fine dining compared to Cap1 but you better look out for the extra salad and sides you didnt order showing up on your bill?!?!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 42 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would ask the mortgage officer if this is the same bank that used to incentivize its employees to open accounts without their customer's knowledge, and whose CEO was pulled to pieces by a senate hearing.  I've never thought to high of their products even though they are considered a top fve US bank.  I'll stick with Chase. 

As for card resumes, I would try to have at least 1 AMEX, 1 Visa, 1 MC and 1 Discover.  Much more than that might trigger some questioning from a banker, but as long as they are in good standing it should be fine. 

Message 43 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, get out of Wells Fargo. Nothing good to be found there. WF's single claim to fame in my my mind--they are the jerkoffs that turned the gentlemanly business of banking into the cutthroat business it is today. And, thereby, turning the banking customers into cattle. This person is blowing smoke up your arse. If it were truly a "fine restaurant" you would already know that. Move along, there are wonderous things to see elsewhere.

Message 44 of 74
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

AMEX, Amazon Store Card and NFCU.  NFCU will work with you financially.  I would like to have Paypal however have not really decided.  

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 74
happypill
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@happypill wrote:

I do agree that some cards have cachet, but I disagree that Wells Fargo is among them.  If Capital One cards are McDonald's, then Wells Fargo's are at best Chipotle; they are certainly not French Laundry.

Each person will have a different definition, but the cards I prize most are those that give rewards that are unequaled by other competitors.  As far as I know, Wells Fargo doesn't offer anything special, and in fact most of their cards are not competitive at all, to say nothing of market leading.

Wells Fargo is also known for horrible customer service and onerous policies that crush their holders' wills to live (ok, that last part might be an exaggeration).  The best card issuers treat their customers right, Wells Fargo treats their customers like the bottom of a baby's diaper.

As in "E. Coli" -- witty Smiley Wink

I like Chipotle but not really willing to wait in line to get some (there's always a line at the ones around me here in the Bay Area).  After the news about their E. Coli problems a while back, I actually ate there several times because there were no lines.  Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 74
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

It depends on one's view on credit. As long as it serves a purpose for me that's all that matters. I want rewards now and a tool to book trips, pay for large purchases and be covered if the purchase goes south, use them for balance transfers, and of course low utilization.

That loan officer is a tool pushing his junk. Just have three revolvers and a installment loan and your scores will be OK. Some on the forum have more than that but he should only care you pay your obligations
Message 47 of 74
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A Loan officer at Wells Fargo recently told me that (Wells Fargo) credit cards are like eating at an expensive resturant,

and that Capital One credit cards were like eating at Mcdonalds! 

I disagree with his Wells Fargo credit cards being "fine dining" analogy, but even if it were true, sometimes you feel like having a nice steak at a fine restaurant, and sometimes you feel like having a hamburger! 

Like many others have already echoed the sentiment, get whatever works for you. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 48 of 74
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What companies would you put at the top of your list to have in your wallet if you were putting together a resume?

Having said that, if I were to manufacture my resume, here's what I would want on it:

Amex BCP

DISCOVER IT

BOFA CASH REWARDS

NFCU- GO REWARDS

I already have the 3 in capitals. I only need the Amex to complete my resume. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 49 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What companies would you put at the top of your list to have in your wallet if you were putting together a resume?

Having said that, if I were to manufacture my resume, here's what I would want on it:

Amex BCP

DISCOVER IT

BOFA CASH REWARDS

NFCU- GO REWARDS

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex BCP

DISCOVER IT

BOFA CASH REWARDS

NFCU- GO REWARDS

The resume analogy is a little hard.   None of those cards are remotely "impressive", as however rewarding they are, they are fairly widely available (NFCU less so now, but with the right background very easy to get!).   I guess a resume approach would focus on "experience", a long history of ontime payments etc!

Message 50 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.