Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best Gas Rewards card?

tag
mgood
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats the best Gas Rewards card?

@W261w261 wrote:

PenFed CU Plat Rewards Sig Visa. No AF, 13.5-17.9%.

5% gas (no boats), 3% Groc + streaming. It's a points card. Sub 15k for 1500/90 spend. If you app using your phone, watch the .JPG file size of your DL pic. Their system can't handle >3MB, and your email will disappear into the ether. I had to separately scan my license, which produced a much smaller PDF file. 

That's what I use for gas. It's 5x points back for gas paid at the pump. Not on the other stuff you buy in the "gas station," just what comes out of the pump. Points are worth .85 cents so 5x = 4.25%. There is no cap to how much you can earn. Points are redeemable as gift cards. You will occasionally find a gift card deal where you can get 1 cent per point if it's on a card for a merchant you're interested in. But don't depend on that, just figure it's 4.25% and be pleasantly surprised when you find a bargain.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 24
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 11 of 43
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

X1 - 5X boost (5%) on gas purchases (limited number of uses and no word if this will be extended)

M1 - 5% BP, Chevron and Exxon (must own shares in companies to qualify - $1 is enough)

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 12 of 43
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Don't forget about the USAA Cashback Rewards plus AmEx. 5% on gas and military base purchases combined up to $3k a year (sucks that it's capped, but we haven't run into an issue yet and occasionally use Discover when it's the category just for some breathing room).

If you're eligible for USAA, it's a solid choice. No AF, no FTF so you can get 5% on gas internationally as well (presumably, since it doesn't specify US gas stations).

'"Qualifying Purchases of Gas" are Qualifying Purchases of gasoline at businesses that are included in a merchant category identified as primarily selling automobile gasoline to consumers (such as Shell and Exxon stations).'

SD - Biz -
Message 13 of 43
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@AlanGJP wrote:

X1 - 5X boost (5%) on gas purchases (limited number of uses and no word if this will be extended)

M1 - 5% BP, Chevron and Exxon (must own shares in companies to qualify - $1 is enough)

Those cards both have annual fees though, don't they?

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 14 of 43
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

There's also the CreditOne x5 Visa and CreditOne Amex (green) - both are 5% gas, groceries, phone, etc with a $5k per year cap then 1% everything after that and both have a $95 af.

I recently got the Amex version. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/CreditOne-AE-5-Synchrony-MC-2/td-p/6518796

Message 15 of 43
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

My Discover iT cards are currently paying 5% back on gas station purchases, from April through June this year. For at least one quarter each year, you can earn 5% back at gas stations with these cards.

Message 16 of 43
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@AlanGJP wrote:

Those cards both have annual fees though, don't they?

M1 does, X1 does not. Since I have an investment account with M1, I don't pay an additional fee for the card. The X1 is an incredibly good card, especially considering it carries no annual fees. It gets pooped on here quite a bit, but I've been consistantly impressed with it.

Note: I do have a yearly M1 plus cost @ $95. Which covers my M1 borrow account amung other features. So I suppose you could argue there's a fee. But since I was paying it anyway, there wasn't any additional fee for me. 

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 17 of 43
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Gas might be a bigger factor than you realize if you spend money at a 7-11 quite frequently since that all codes under gas.

Chase when its 5x gas on the freedom is the best way to go since you can multiply that 2x or 3x in the system. The Chase Ink Cash is a regular 2 percent at the pump which is better than 3% in most ecosystems.

Setting custom cash at 5% for gas and then having a CFF as an otherwise daily driver dinning/drug store I can see making some sense. That leaves groceries as a hold but that is where the Citi Premier can come in and cover with a regular 3x supermarket earning.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 18 of 43
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

Gas might be a bigger factor than you realize if you spend money at a 7-11 quite frequently since that all codes under gas.

Chase when its 5x gas on the freedom is the best way to go since you can multiply that 2x or 3x in the system. The Chase Ink Cash is a regular 2 percent at the pump which is better than 3% in most ecosystems.

Setting custom cash at 5% for gas and then having a CFF as an otherwise daily driver dinning/drug store I can see making some sense. That leaves groceries as a hold but that is where the Citi Premier can come in and cover with a regular 3x supermarket earning.

Have to disagree here... even with 5% back, 7-11's price gauging (Many items are 100% markup) isn't going to offset any savings you'd get, not by a longshot. I'd rather run into a Walgreens or similar store, you're going to save way more than 5% and then whatever your CB/MR/etc is on top of that... Maybe if you're a frequent soda/hotdog/slurpy drinker. Smiley Wink Otherwise, I'd use 7-11/equiv strictly for gas. (Personally, of course. Your time may be more valuable)

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 19 of 43
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

USAA has a 5% card, with an annual cap that may or may not fit your needs.

I use the Costco card, which is 4%.

Sam's is 5%.

Costco and Sam's both require memberships and pay out cash back once annually. If you are not a member at the time of the payout, you lose it. So they really only make sense if you are a member anyway, or want to be.

Someone mentioned the Harley card. Of course, that card only makes sense if you have a Harley AND you value H-D store credit equal with cash. The H-D card rewards you with points that you can use toward H-D purchases. Even though I have a Harley, this is why I use the Costco card for gas instead.

Fort Knox or whatever goofy generic name they have now is 5% I think.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.