Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best Gas Rewards card?

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Whats the best Gas Rewards card?

Still not seeing anything better than a USAA/Affinity (when the hi5 is gas) combo to maximize! 😁

Most of the other 5% choices have an AF, or are also rotators (and obviously Affinity beats out the other rotators at 7%, especially as its been gas 2 quarters... However OP already has a Discover so can use that when the quarter is gas instead atm), a FTF, a cap (yes, USAA has a cap, but paired with Affinity it's a non issue and it's better at 5% than Costco at 4%) or, in the case of Citi Custom Cash are better used for a different category.

Anyways. Stuff.

SD - Biz -
Message 31 of 43
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

Still not seeing anything better than a USAA/Affinity (when the hi5 is gas) combo to maximize! 😁

Most of the other 5% choices have an AF, or are also rotators (and obviously Affinity beats out the other rotators at 7%, especially as its been gas 2 quarters... However OP already has a Discover so can use that when the quarter is gas instead atm), a FTF, a cap (yes, USAA has a cap, but paired with Affinity it's a non issue and it's better at 5% than Costco at 4%) or, in the case of Citi Custom Cash are better used for a different category.

Anyways. Stuff.

Sam's Club has no AF, is not a rotator, does not have a FTF, and it does have a cap of $5,000 in rewards per year, but if used only for gas, this would translate to $100,000 in gas purchases a year so it's not a meaningful cap for an individual. Citi is similar, but 4% instead of 5%. Of course, these do require membership in a warehouse club. If you don't already have or want that, then it's like an annual fee. Not trying to nitpick, but these are popular cards that would be the first options a lot of people would mention for gas cash back.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 32 of 43
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

@ these are popular cards that would be the first options a lot of people would mention for gas cash back.

Ah, but the point in determining the BEST is to nitpick!

Anyone can easily find what's "popular".  😁

I'd also say that USAA, Costco, and Sam's all require various memberships... USAA is free but you have to qualify, while Costco and Sam's have yearly fees (and in the case of Costco your card will be closed if you do not continue your membership yearly, and someone implied Sam's was similar?). USAA however, is an immediate cashback (per purchase, not per statement), while Sam's Club and Costco are yearly certificates (and in the case of Costco can only be used at Costco... I don't have direct experience with Sam's Club but I believe someone said it was similar there).

SD - Biz -
Message 33 of 43
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yes, both of those cards require membership in the respective club, which costs money each year, and I think both pay out rewards in the form of a certificate meant to be used at the store, though it can be converted to cash at the store's service counter. In both cases, the cards make a lot of sense if you are, or want to be, a member of that club, and do not make much sense if you aren't and don't want to be a member. I would not join simply for the card. That said, there's a lot of overlap between MyFICOers and warehouse club memberships - there are probably more Costco members than USAA members on this board (that's just a guess, I have not taken a poll). Smiley Happy 

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 34 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Altitude Connect gives 4% on gas and EV charging stations, no cap.

There is $95 AF, waived first year and $500.00 SUB for only $2000 in spend. 

It can be PCed later to other Altitude cards such as Go or Cash+, but I believe SUB justifies paying AF at least one year.  

There is $30 streaming credit after 12 months, making AF effectively $65.  

Message 35 of 43
BijouMan
New Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

It can be PCed later to other Altitude cards such as Go or Cash+, but I believe SUB justifies paying AF at least one year.  

U.S. Bank has a points program which this card uses but their points are only redeemable at a fixed value. They cannot be transferred to airlines, so it is not ideal for aviation enthusiasts or other people seeking to get into the premium cabins on planes.

Message 36 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@BijouMan wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

U.S. Bank has a points program which this card uses but their points are only redeemable at a fixed value. They cannot be transferred to airlines, so it is not ideal for aviation enthusiasts or other people seeking to get into the premium cabins on planes.

Well, I don't bring my own fuel when I fly, Spirt ain't my thing. 

There is nothing in this thread indicating "Gas card but I want transferable points" 

Message 37 of 43
sxa001
Valued Contributor

As I often joke with my friends when I offer rides or drive half way across town to bring them something, with my 4% Cashback on fuel on my Citi Costco card I can't afford NOT to be burning fuel. 

Personally, the 4% works fine for me. I have never come close to hitting the 7K cap.  My spend probably amounts to a "free" tank of gas or two a year. A 5% card would only give me another 20 bucks or so most years.  

I do try to remember when there is 5% on gas on Discover or CFF and I will use those when I do but I am really bad at remembering categories. 

Message 38 of 43
BijouMan
New Contributor

@sxa001 wrote:

As I often joke with my friends when I offer rides or drive half way across town to bring them something, with my 4% Cashback on fuel on my Citi Costco card I can't afford NOT to be burning fuel. 

Personally, the 4% works fine for me. I have never come close to hitting the 7K cap.  My spend probably amounts to a "free" tank of gas or two a year. A 5% card would only give me another 20 bucks or so most years.  

I do try to remember when there is 5% on gas on Discover or CFF and I will use those when I do but I am really bad at remembering categories. 

There's a program you can use called MaxRewards that knows everything about the major cards and can let you know about rotating categories.

Message 39 of 43
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@BijouMan wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Well, I don't bring my own fuel when I fly, Spirt ain't my thing. 

There is nothing in this thread indicating "Gas card but I want transferable points" 

... for premium cabin. So generate ~100,000 miles from gas spend. My Custom Cash will do that after $20,000 gas spend, and I'm at about $2,000 per year in gas spend Smiley Happy

I will be dead, but my ashes can fly in style. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.