cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats your Discover card credit limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats your Discover card credit limit?

Got the secured in March, graduated, data points:

• March 2017, TU 550ish, $2500 secured
  • October 2017, TU650, graduated, still $2500
  • November 2017, TU 699, still $2500
  • will know in about a week if it's still $2500...

Utilization on that card generally reports at <9% but I've used the card for more than $8000 in a month.  Since it's my only 2% card (with match), it gets all my general spend/travel/etc.  Once the 1 year comes up, the card is going to get probably zero spend except Discover Deals (if any).  So a CLI at this point is basically useless although it'll let me extend my float on <29% utilization to just before the due date.

Message 51 of 460
GFer
Valued Contributor

Started @ $12,000 10/2015.  Sitting @ $30,400 now. Score 847, but soon to drop b/c of new acct.

Last year was an amazing year for CLI's. One for $$6,000 in November and the same for February. My aggregate utility in Feb. was 6%, and only a third of that was on Disco.

High utility right now, as I am taking advantage of an additional 12 mo interest free period. My utility as of this moment is 6.68% and of that, $9,400 is the bal. on Disco.  Thinking about trying for CLI just for fun, to see what the result would be! 

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 52 of 460
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

A related question: what's your Discover high balance?

Was it from large purchases? Using BTs or 0% spend promos? Have a big CL for utilization padding? Just for kicks?

Mine was about $2,200 (of $3k) after some large purchases. No 0% promo at the time, so PIFed. I think I paid before the statement cut, overly concerned with the risk of AA.

High balance on DW's card is around $20k (balance transfer, of course).  High balance on mine is about $2450 when the starting line was $2500.  I opened the card because of Discover's great balance transfer offers and expected a significantly higher starting line.  When I apped, I filled in the balance transfer request and put in something like $15k to transfer from another card that was at 4.9%.  Since I got the low SL, I assumed the balance transfer wouldn't happen and decided that I would just run lots of spend through it to try to force a big CLI, and PIF several times before the statement cut, which was listed as being like 7 weeks out.  So here I am running $2000+ on a $2500 card, paid in full, ran about another $1500 through it on about the 3rd week and then they did a partial balance transfer of only about $1000 of that $15,000 I had requested at the time of apping!  No big deal, paid off the new purchases and let the BT ride.  Only problem is, they decided to report the new account to the credit bureaus mid-cycle when the card was at like 98% utilization!!!

So I learned two things from that experience.  #1 never request a balance transfer when applying for a card.  Wait until you know what the limit is, then do it after.  #2 never assume that a new card won't be reported until the first statement closes; Discover is not the only lender that has reported a new account to the CRAs before the first statement cut.

Message 53 of 460
Anonymous
Not applicable

I requested the credit line increase through my online account. Is that what is referred to as the luv button?

Message 54 of 460
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous yes, that's the one.

Message 55 of 460
shakalaka
Established Contributor

50K, but somebody here has 56K as far as I remember. The offered me 57.8K with proof of income.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 56 of 460
GFer
Valued Contributor

FYI...disco likes use?!

disco use cli.png

Message 57 of 460
GFer
Valued Contributor

Shakalaka....BOOM! lol

I hope to be like you one day!

Message 58 of 460
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Thanks, yes they like us.

I use(d) them big. I had several 0% BT and 0% APR offers. And I did spend a lot. And I even let 15-20K report sometimes. Just for the fun of it. Earning a tiny bit of interest in savings Smiley LOL

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 59 of 460
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started at $600 secured July 2017 and now its almost 13x after a couple auto-CLI's and a few SP CLI's. Disco is unique in my wallet because my highest util has been all of ~5%...

Message 60 of 460
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.