Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whee! Got my Amex to report with a Zero Balance for First time

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Whee! Got my Amex to report with a Zero Balance for First time

Super excited, this is the first time since I've gotten the card that I've been able to PIF, and actually pay extra before the statement cut.

Last time I came close, I had a $4 charge which had been "pending"  so my balance reported as $4

The way I did it was by paying in full all charges on 8/3/12, statement cuts on 8/8/12

I told my husband to use cash only for 4 days, I started using my Amazon Visa, which I carry as back up.

I Paid again in full on 8/6/12, which was only like $82 dollars.  I also pushed a payment from NFCU for $250.  After these payments hit, I had a Credit Balance of $86. 

When the statement closed, I had a credit balance of $23 dollars.

I'm so happy Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: Whee! Got my Amex to report with a Zero Balance for First time

AWESOMESmiley Wink   i acutally had the same little situation with my AMEX, it had reported a $104 balance even though i had just paid $1,544 for the entire balance...or so i thought lol. i just didnt account for the PENDING $104 charges to get reported. so this month i had to do like you and use a diffrent card until the statement cut to make SURE the darn card reported a zero balance.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't believe charge cards like the Zync counted in your utility / accounts with a balance.  Am I missing something or are you referring to a different AMEX card that isn't included in your sig?

Message 3 of 7
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't believe charge cards like the Zync counted in your utility / accounts with a balance.  Am I missing something or are you referring to a different AMEX card that isn't included in your sig?

you are correct, they don't count in utilization, however, they do show up as an account with a balance. my goal was to just get the card to report a 0 balance

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, it was a personal goal of mine just to get it to report zero!
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Super excited, this is the first time since I've gotten the card that I've been able to PIF, and actually pay extra before the statement cut.

Last time I came close, I had a $4 charge which had been "pending"  so my balance reported as $4

The way I did it was by paying in full all charges on 8/3/12, statement cuts on 8/8/12

I told my husband to use cash only for 4 days, I started using my Amazon Visa, which I carry as back up.

I Paid again in full on 8/6/12, which was only like $82 dollars.  I also pushed a payment from NFCU for $250.  After these payments hit, I had a Credit Balance of $86. 

When the statement closed, I had a credit balance of $23 dollars.

I'm so happy Smiley Very Happy

strange this month i am doing the oposite, here sitting waiting for my statement to cut so it will post a high balance,  got my Credit Reports last week and saw that my AMEX Zync is reporting a high balance of $24 which looks like i rarely use it because I always pay before the statement cuts except for the first one where I had a $24 balance. So this month I am waiting for it to report $402 then will pay it off the same day. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Haha we did that with the june statement, it reported a high balance of 5782. That was a high spend month for us, due to weddng and honeymoon, so I went ahead and let it report.
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.