Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Can You Request Discover CLI?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

When Can You Request Discover CLI?

How soon after opening a Discover Card can you ask for a credit limit increase? And how soon after being granted a cli with Discover, can you request another? Also, what is the general auto credit limit increase situation like with Discover?

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: When Can You Request Discover CLI?

Honestly Discover has no set rules 

You can try at any time since it's a SP or they''ll give you a warning of a HP at which time you can cancel 

The general rule is every 3 months YMMV tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the Discover IT in February and my first statement cut in March.  I applied for a CL increase and my request was not approved.  I think it is because my account is too new. Based on what I have seen in the forum I need to wait until 90 days to apply.  

Message 3 of 40
Repairman
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

You can try at any time since it's a SP or they''ll give you a warning of a HP at which time you can cancel 

I was just approved yesterday with a $7500 limit, but would like a larger limit as I'm doing a $7000 blance transfer. Do you think there's any chance of me getting approved for a higher limit immediately? If so, how would you reccommend I request? Online chat? Phone? Or wait until I actually get the card and request online through the love button?

Message 4 of 40
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I was just approved yesterday with a $7500 limit, but would like a larger limit as I'm doing a $7000 blance transfer. Do you think there's any chance of me getting approved for a higher limit immediately? If so, how would you reccommend I request? Online chat? Phone? Or wait until I actually get the card and request online through the love button?

You can try but Discover likes to start slow and then join in a marathon 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Customer rep recently told me Discover does account reviews for cli twice per year. February and August only. Not sure how true or if anyone has seen that trend.
Message 6 of 40
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

How soon after opening a Discover Card can you ask for a credit limit increase? And how soon after being granted a cli with Discover, can you request another? Also, what is the general auto credit limit increase situation like with Discover?

There are no set intervals. But there's never any harm done in pulling the luv button, it's a soft pull and they don't care.

I've received CLI at intervals of 92 days, 20 days, and other intervals in between.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like already posted, I've read that the magic number is 90 days. You can try whenever... I've tried twice, denied both times because my account is too new. 

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

I received my first CLI (from $1,000 to $4,000) just after my third statement cut (so, around 80+ days of opening the account). My second CLI was 30 days later (after my 4th statement) to $7,000. I tried again after the 5th statement, but it was not approved. Tried again after the 6th, and got the limit increased to $10,000. As others have mentioned: you can try anytime. There is no harm. If they need to do a hard pull, they will ask for your authorization.

Joster

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
A Customer rep recently told me Discover does account reviews for cli twice per year. February and August only. Not sure how true or if anyone has seen that trend.

I don't believe that is accurate as I received an auto CLI in June of 2015. Maybe the representative was confused. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.