cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Target will listen to the consumers?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When Target will listen to the consumers?

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@danielodonoll wrote:

I guess all the banks like Chase Bof america Amex need to reduce the credit lines to $500 for all the costumers because the risk is high base on your philosophy

You are mixing apples and oranges now. Chase, BOA and Amex are high rollers...and typically give healthy credit lines only to those who are deemed to be superior with regards to credit and income/ability to repay. Target is a retail store that just wants you to buy their stuff, but is not dependent on credit products for those purchases.

In addition, Target has the debit Redcard product that provides the same 5% discount incentive that the credit product does. Credit just isn't a big part of their business model, and is therefore restricted.

I think it is important to be fair in discussing these matters. Let's be honest: We want fat CLs because we want to be able to use the cards and not tank our FICOS. It's a bit selfish to turn the criticism on the lenders for not putting themselves at risk to satisfy our selfish credit desires.

+1

Couldn't have said it better.

Message 11 of 33
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@danielodonoll wrote:

I guess all the banks like Chase Bof america Amex need to reduce the credit lines to $500 for all the costumers because the risk is high base on your philosophy

You are mixing apples and oranges now. Chase, BOA and Amex are high rollers...and typically give healthy credit lines only to those who are deemed to be superior with regards to credit and income/ability to repay. Target is a retail store that just wants you to buy their stuff, but is not dependent on credit products for those purchases.

In addition, Target has the debit Redcard product that provides the same 5% discount incentive that the credit product does. Credit just isn't a big part of their business model, and is therefore restricted.

I think it is important to be fair in discussing these matters. Let's be honest: We want fat CLs because we want to be able to use the cards and not tank our FICOS. It's a bit selfish to turn the criticism on the lenders for not putting themselves at risk to satisfy our selfish credit desires.

The big banks give big credit lines to big spenders becasue they want the swipe fees, Target isn't going to get huge swipe fees from people that can only show at Target.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 12 of 33
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Typically, sales expansion includes credit availability expansion for a retailer.

They should change banks to GECRB. I might re-open a Target card if that were the case.

Not true at all, really...at least not in a blanket sense.

Look at Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a credit card, but typically starts people off at $124 limit and isn't known to grow by leaps and bounds. Other retailers have also been known to constrict credit for absolutely no reason other than a risk assessment contingency.

And, quite frankly, look at Target. If restricting credit was damaging their bottom line, I suspect they would make a change.

This is purely a business decision...one that is specific to the needs of each, not our credit desires.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 13 of 33
danielodonoll
New Contributor

You realise that Target is a giant retail store right?

And that is a multibillioner company.Target is a high roller.I know they have the money to lend

Why not lend right? Every other store does lend much more then target even though they are much smaller comanys then Target is

I guess the solution is new managment on Target.IMO

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 14 of 33
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@danielodonoll wrote:

And that is a multibillioner company.Target is a high roller.I know they have the money to lend

Why not lend right? Every other store does lend much more then target even though they are much smaller comanys then Target is

It's pretty simple, they are trying to hold their risk to a minimum for each individual.

the big banks are willing to give high credit lines in return they get the swipe fees from people who spend, Target isn't getting swipe fees so they don't have that source of income to justify the risk from the credit lines.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 15 of 33
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@danielodonoll wrote:

Because it isn't conducive to their business model...period. Every other store means squat to Target, and the business models of others isn't necessarily what will be successful for Target. And increased lending equals increased risk. Target knows, as most all of us do, that people can utilize any number of other credit products at their store...including Visa, MC, Discover, etc. Why should they increase their risk just to satisfy some random credit watchers' desire to keep util low and still use the product heavily?

I'm sorry to be so harsh with the truth, but this is the way the business world works. Target's model works for them...that's all that matters. Our personal credit goals and complaining should not be used as criteria for how Target issues its credit products. That is not smart business, regardless of how frustrating it may be to some individuals.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 33
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@danielodonoll wrote:

TARGET is not the lender.  They may be one of the largest retailers but by no means are they "failing" for not extending any extra credit to you via their credit card.  They have other methods of payment that they accept and are still doing well financially - even if you don't have their revolving credit card.

TNB was the previous underwriting body for all Target accounts.  This switched to Toronto Dominion (TD) Bank not long ago.  TD Bank absorbed their private label portfolio and is known to be very a very conservative lending institution.

TNB had a very expansive credit growth in the early 2000's which led to the demise of deteriorated portfolios due to high credit losses when the financial metldown hit, and discontinued their Visa product as a result.  So, I think it's smart for TD Bank and their cautious approach with extending credit on a conservative basis given the previous history.

You have choices, they have options.

Message 17 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Typically banks change Credit Servicers/companies when the current one is unprofitable,
But if TD operates the way TNB did... They prob won't see an uptick in sales..
And let's face facts, retailers choose banks that produce and increase in sales; that's the whole point of any provision of credit products- to increase sales.
I remember trying tirelessly to get Targét to upgrade my Red Card to a Visa lol... Never happened! Heh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 18 of 33
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I remember trying tirelessly to get Targét to upgrade my Red Card to a Visa lol... Never happened! Heh

I hear you...and don't get me wrong, I wish these cats would all give us healthy credit lines so we could use them and not fear the dreaded UTIL bump. But then I look at this whole game from a business perspective...and when I do, I realize that when Cap1/Target/etc. restrict access to credit, they are doing it to minimize risk. In the post-2008 financial world, that doesn't seem like a bad approach at all Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, except that C1 will increase a line if you go through the EO ;-) lol...
I think if you have a solid payment history as I did in Cap One's case(5 years, no lates or over limits) and one year of the same with TNB, that should be enough of an indicator of low risk...
But I do get it. I also think that Cap One's business model isn't to limit risk, but to increase Revenue Per Account. The more low limit accounts they can pump out with fees/high rates... The more profitable they are. Idk about Target/TD though. No experience with them lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.