cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When being added as an Authorized User, do they run a credit check or can they deny the request?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When being added as an Authorized User, do they run a credit check or can they deny the request?

My wife has excellent credit.

I have poor credit (FICO of 670 with several bad blemishes-  CC's that went into collection (a few paid off in full and a few were settled for less than full amounts)).

We are cosnidering adding me as an authorized user to one or two of her credit cards.

I know that rules are changing in regard to how this would positively effect my score, however, if we decided to add me anyway, do the card companies run a credit check and do they actually turn people down?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Re: When being added as an Authorized User, do they run a credit check or can they deny the request?

You cannot be denied as an AU because the responsibility of the account lies with the original applicant (your wife). There is no credit check for AU that I've heard of.
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: When being added as an Authorized User, do they run a credit check or can they deny the request?

I have never heard of them checking the credit of an AU, just a cosigner (sometimes).
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I'd consider 670 as bad credit. Makes me wonder what I would have been when I first found this site at 630 ish (and that was the high one). One word comes to mind...PITIFUL!!!Smiley Surprised
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex ran my credit and I am an AU.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.