cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When calling backdoor for CLI, what do you say?

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

When calling backdoor for CLI, what do you say?

Of course you say you want a CLI. But, I've read where people say they explained a "situation."  

This is about my Cap1 card and, on the "Backdoor Numbers" thread I read where people had major success with Cap1.

Currently, I have a $500 limit, $95 balance, and its 4 months old. At what point should I ask for a CLI? Also, should I pay the $95 off first? Lastly, how likely is it that they will oblige? Like I said, I read where people had luck in the backdoor thread.

thanks!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When calling backdoor for CLI, what do you say?

I just had fantastic luck with that today, so I'll tell you what I said. YMMV.

I have a Cap1 in the CS program with a $500 CL. I run a lot through that card and PIF several times a month. I explained this to the CS, stating that I really like the cash back rewards. I told him (truthfully) that I just used it to pay for my car insurance that day. Unfortunately, there are other expenses that I'd LOVE to be able to place on the card to get the cash back, but it will take a couple of days for my insurance to post to my account, and then another day for me to pay it and have my available credit restored. Because I didn't want to bump up against my CL, I'd place those charges on my debit card instead of Cap 1. So, since I completed the 5 months of CS, I asked if I could get my CS CLI a little early. He reviewed my account, stated that I had a "phenomonal" payment history, and transferred the call to someone who had some authority. This CSR reviewed my account, and informed me that I'll be receiving a $500 CLI on my next statement. That's double what I was slated to get, and a month sooner.

Now, everything that I told them was absolutely true. I don't know what your spending patterns have been. But, if you've been using it heavily and paying several times a month, I would let them know that you need a little more "elbow room" so that you can proceed to use it even more heavily... with the full intention of continuing to PIF.

Oh, I called when my balance was 0, but I do have a 30-some dollar charge that hadn't yet posted. Still, it can't hurt if you call when your balance is either 0 or very low. Good luck!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 3
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: When calling backdoor for CLI, what do you say?

@tinuviel wrote:

I just had fantastic luck with that today, so I'll tell you what I said. YMMV.

I have a Cap1 in the CS program with a $500 CL. I run a lot through that card and PIF several times a month. I explained this to the CS, stating that I really like the cash back rewards. I told him (truthfully) that I just used it to pay for my car insurance that day. Unfortunately, there are other expenses that I'd LOVE to be able to place on the card to get the cash back, but it will take a couple of days for my insurance to post to my account, and then another day for me to pay it and have my available credit restored. Because I didn't want to bump up against my CL, I'd place those charges on my debit card instead of Cap 1. So, since I completed the 5 months of CS, I asked if I could get my CS CLI a little early. He reviewed my account, stated that I had a "phenomonal" payment history, and transferred the call to someone who had some authority. This CSR reviewed my account, and informed me that I'll be receiving a $500 CLI on my next statement. That's double what I was slated to get, and a month sooner.

Now, everything that I told them was absolutely true. I don't know what your spending patterns have been. But, if you've been using it heavily and paying several times a month, I would let them know that you need a little more "elbow room" so that you can proceed to use it even more heavily... with the full intention of continuing to PIF.

Oh, I called when my balance was 0, but I do have a 30-some dollar charge that hadn't yet posted. Still, it can't hurt if you call when your balance is either 0 or very low. Good luck!

Okay. And I posted on your other thread so ignore that!

I think what I'll do is pay it off, then make several purchases on it paying several times/month. After a month of this I'll do the call. I too, would like to put higher priced purchases on there but I dont want it near my limit.

thanks for the info!!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.