Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can i close my cards?

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

When can i close my cards?

Hello, it has been a while since i have posted but i would like to know when is a good time to close cards after rebuilding your credit. I am at 690 nfico 8 and most of the cards i dont use and are at 0. Out of about 13 i am ready to get rid of some. Will the score drop once cards are closed? I do plan on applying for a home owners loan next year and that is apart of the reason i want to close them. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When can i close my cards?

Can you list the cards that you're intending on closing and their CLs? How old is each? Any AFs on them? What's your overall utilization?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Newbie2018 wrote:

Hello, it has been a while since i have posted but i would like to know when is a good time to close cards after rebuilding your credit. I am at 690 nfico 8 and most of the cards i dont use and are at 0. Out of about 13 i am ready to get rid of some. Will the score drop once cards are closed? I do plan on applying for a home owners loan next year and that is apart of the reason i want to close them. 

OP, closed accounts will continue to report for up to 10 years. Also, if the accounts you intend to close are helping your utilization look healthy, your score can drop due to the appearance of increased credit usage.  

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Can you list the cards that you're intending on closing and their CLs? How old is each? Any AFs on them? What's your overall utilization?

+1

Message 4 of 8
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

All of them are under 6 months old. They are comenity cards done via sct
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Newbie2018 wrote:
All of them are under 6 months old. They are comenity cards done via sct

In that case, feel free to close them out. The limits are probably low, and the accounts are pretty new. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, closed accounts will continue to report for up to 10 years, but closing accounts that are really old can bring down your AAoA quite a bit.

What does the second bit mean?   

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, closed accounts will continue to report for up to 10 years, but closing accounts that are really old can bring down your AAoA quite a bit.

What does the second bit mean?   

@I was confusing Credit Karma with Fico once again. Thanks for pointing that out, @longtimelurker. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.