cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did spending thresholds become a thing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When did spending thresholds become a thing?

I recall when I did the 2 browser trick to get an AAdvantage Platinum Visa and Amex, I didn't have to meet any spending criteria. When did it become a thing to have to spend X amount in order to get a sign up bonus?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: When did spending thresholds become a thing?

If bonuses were just given out for applying with zero spend, there would be even less incentive for someone to even use a card
Message 2 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recall when I did the 2 browser trick to get an AAdvantage Platinum Visa and Amex, I didn't have to meet any spending criteria. When did it become a thing to have to spend X amount in order to get a sign up bonus?

It's not universal still, Sallie Mae gives a bonus on first purchase (and I think the old US Air card did the same).

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The US Air card did.

50,000 Dividend Miles (which are now AAdvantage miles) for making one purchase and paying the AF.

Easiest 50k ever.

Message 4 of 29
icyhot
Valued Contributor

More cards should do that. Make a purchase and pay AF = bonus. Way easier than spending $1000-$3000 in 3 months
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 5 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
More cards should do that. Make a purchase and pay AF = bonus. Way easier than spending $1000-$3000 in 3 months

Generally the cards with the type of bonus that requires 3k in spending are geared towards people who routinely have that spend level. If one can't manage to spend enough to meet it,  chances are the card won't be justifiable long term

Message 6 of 29
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

Well, I think issuers lean towards that now because they want people to use the card Smiley Very Happy

(and what KDM said!)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 29
icyhot
Valued Contributor

True!
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

they don't make money if they give you $509 worth of travel for one card swipe and paying $89 one time. they want it to be your main card that's why spend is usually pretty high. also if you can't meet the minimum spend then ,as KDM said (i think this is what he meant idk), that card isn't gonna benefit you much because you're probably too light of a spender.

heck be thankful for any bonus because many places still don't do any bonuses for spend or sign up aka discover. granted they have little promos here and there but nothing worth wetting your panties for
Message 9 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:
If bonuses were just given out for applying with zero spend, there would be even less incentive for someone to even use a card

I can see for certain programs but this doesn't apply to all cards.  For instance, BOA Alaska Airlines has an ongoing 25,000 bonus just for getting approved (every once in a while they float a 50K promotion).

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.