cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did spending thresholds become a thing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When did spending thresholds become a thing?

It's all about knowing your budget and making choices. I have two Amex cards. I have not applied for a new Amex card since 1999. I never could get the 100K offer to come up even in incognito.While I would have been tempted, I would have had to make a choice between it and CSP. I would not try to do both within a 3 month period.

Find a card that you'll use and benefit from. Know what your budget accommodates. And don't manufacture spending artificially to meet the bonus. Then make a sound choice.

Message 21 of 29
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
why does minimum spend need to be a challenge? that's the point of it. you should be able to do it without challenge. 

Agreed, you should never get a card with a bonus that doesn't fit within your normal spend (or if you have some bigger bills/expenses coming up like a vacation and you have the money saved up anyway): as I've said before, (1), you probably don't spend enough to make the card worthwhile/justifiable anyway and (2), you shouldn't overspend to carry a balance because the rewards will get eaten up by interest. (I'm such a broken record Smiley Very Happy)

Even for a low spender like me, $1k in 3 months is easy enough but $4k in 3 months would not happen unless I roped fiance into using the card for all his expenses as well. Therefore, I wouldn't apply for the $4k in 3 months card since it would be a pain to get the bonus (but doable) but I don't think I could justify the card since my spend isn't that high. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 22 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
why does minimum spend need to be a challenge? that's the point of it. you should be able to do it without challenge. some of you have the wrong idea of what a credit card is lol. it's not supposed to be a challenge to spend on it. that's how people overspend and you end up spending on average $1k a month when your regular budget accounts for $800 a month... but you know... GOTTA meet that minimum spend...

get what works for your budget. make your card work for you, don't work for your card. good tip to live by.

Well, it really depends.   If a card has a bonus worth say $1000, it might be worth "overspending" (prepaying some bills for example) by $100 for three months to get that bonus (not going into debt, but reducing reserves).  Or you might decide not to.   But doing the former is perfectly sound.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

and if yore overpaying on bills to save money for the coming months could be a decent idea but doubtful that most people do that lol.
Message 24 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
and if yore overpaying on bills to save money for the coming months could be a decent idea but doubtful that most people do that lol.

Prepaying bills are sound, assuming the bonus received yields a higher return than the alternatives.  With short term rates near 0, even a $200 bonus for $2,000 spend is infinitely superior to anything the Bank has to offer.

Until this dynamic changes, rewards will continue to be offered, and everyone will continue to reap them.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh i agree yup. or just pay your 6 month premium on insurance and let your balance ride for the 6 months in interest free and make our normal payment toward your credit card. just don't go buy crap to meet spend is all i am saying
Message 26 of 29
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
More cards should do that. Make a purchase and pay AF = bonus. Way easier than spending $1000-$3000 in 3 months

How is meeting a spend of $1,000 in 3 months a challenge?  People have utility bills (electric, gas, water), cable bills, cell phones, grocery shopping, going out to eat, gas in your car, clothes shopping, etc.

Never said it was a challenge, I said it was easier. 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 27 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
oh i agree yup. or just pay your 6 month premium on insurance and let your balance ride for the 6 months in interest free and make our normal payment toward your credit card. just don't go buy crap to meet spend is all i am saying

And sadly, people do it all the time -- spend more than normal to get a bonus, or spend more than normal to get rewards.

Message 28 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And sadly, people do it all the time -- spend more than normal to get a bonus, or spend more than normal to get rewards.

+1

Agree with you both.

My income and spending is 'modest' compared to most on here, and I know that there are cards that just aren't for me... even if I can get approved for them.  I just concentrate on getting/having cards that work for my specific spending pattern. 

I can reasonably accommodate a 'minimum spend' threshold, but if the card isn't useful to me going forward (after the bonus), it just clutters up my accounting and lowers my AAoA.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.