cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did you get your first credit card preapproval?

tag
Straed
Valued Member

When did you get your first credit card preapproval?

I'm curious what your stats were and how long your credit history was?

Thank for the help!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: When did you get your first credit card preapproval?

I had a low SL Cap1 card for about a month (my 1st CC) I then checked Discover for a pre-approval and got it. 

I applied and was approved for $1000SL. Scores were in the 670's I believe at the time. Had a few small med collections.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I started getting them when my stats were high 500 to low 600s while I was building credit after obtaining an auto loan. 

They weren't the best cards out there (credit one, indigo), and most were cards you had to pay for. Now (2 years later) I get better card offers (amex, discover, BofA) since my scores are high 700 to low 800s. 

Message 3 of 16
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

The first cc preapproval I've ever received was late last year (I think in November).  820-ish FICO8's at the time, 16 years of credit history.  It was from US Bank and my scores have been in the 800's for years and years and years, so I assume the thing that changed was me being added as joint on my spouse's USB deposit accounts earlier in the year.  I've since seen a preapproval on Disco's site, though I didn't take it.  Amex didn't have any pre-approvals for me when I applied for my BCP in November, but approved me anyway.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably back in 2019 from Capital One.  My credit score was sub-prime (i.e. around 580) and all I had on my credit report, aside from derogatories, was a year old Discover secured card with a $2,500 limit.  Capital One sent me a ridiculous amount of pre-approvals.  I actually went through an old pile of them a couple weeks back and counted--- it was literally 20 that they had sent by snail-mail in an 8-month period.  I finally bit and got a $1,250 SL platinum card (I PC'd to a Quicksilver after a year).

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignoring the Credit One & sub-prime offers from Cardmatch and kind, I just recently got my first pre-approval from Discover (21.99% APR IIRC?) last month. 

I opened my first card and loan in Sep 2019, so it's been a long wait for this

Stats EX8 696, high amount of new accounts and inquiries, one maxed out card @ 5k

Message 6 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

First was the Amex gold when I was 19. Don't know my score, but all I had was an auto loan for 6 months.

Message 7 of 16
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Discover - Dec 2018 was my first prequal. This was my 2nd card. My scores were in the 720's across the board. I only had my Summit/Care Care card at the time, which I got 3/18. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 16
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Mine was about 18 years ago. Cap1 sent me a mailer for a Platinim card. I filled it out with a pen, checked the box for the cool outer space design for my card, and mailed it back to them. About two weeks later I received a card back from them in the mail. $500 SL. No idea what my scores were but I was joint on an auto loan with my dad for 6 months or so before that. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 16
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I had a car loan for 8-10 months then applied for a gas card.

Got a real credit card from my banking CU about a year later.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.