cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did you get your first credit card preapproval?

tag
micvite
Frequent Contributor

Re: When did you get your first credit card preapproval?

@Straed wrote:

I'm curious what your stats were and how long your credit history was?

Thank for the help!

When I was 16, I was added as an AU to my mom's 15 YO Capital one platinum (was an HSBC platinum before cap one bought it out.) had a 5k or so SL, Immediately got preapprovals in the mail from discover, AMEX delta GOLD card, and a few others. AMEX was very persistent.

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 11 of 16
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

1992? (I was 18)... I had 6 months with a car loan and just picked up Citibank's Drivers Edge Visa with a $600 SL. May Co. sent me a pre-approval for their store card literally within a few days of getting the Citi card. May Co SL was $500.

Message 12 of 16
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

The only time I have ever been pre-approved for anything is now.

Cap1 regular cards and their Walmart cards have me pre-approved right in the middle of a bankruptcy. Go figure. Smiley Very Happy

Two scores are just under 500 and one is just over.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my Experian hit 670 3/2018 I got a prequalified offer from both AMEX and Disco for the first time and was approved for both cards. I had no revolving credit card balances (I had just finished paying off my QS after buying a TV with it in November), 3 credit cards, an 8 year old chapter 7, a few unpaid charge offs including a repo, and probably some medical collections. 

I did get prequals from Capital One before that but I don't really count them. They were the first to give me a chance after my BK like many on this board. 

Message 14 of 16
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

1994...just out of high school.

I had kept a savings account with Key Bank throughout high school...not a ton of money in it...usually a few hundred dollars.

After I turned 18 and began prepping for college, a fully-activated Key Bank Visa lands in my mailbox. I hadn't even applied for it...$1,500 limit.

To this day, I STILL have the number memorized.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 15 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Straed wrote:

I'm curious what your stats were and how long your credit history was?

Thank for the help!

In 1992 with BK7 on file from the early 80s, no serious rebuild till 1990, card was the AT&T Universal from Universal Bank which of course was bought out by Citi in 1997. Fico scores were in their infancy and I dont remember ever having one mentioned on denials until the early 2000s.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.