Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do CC's report balances

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

When do CC's report balances

What point in the month do CC's report balances to the CRA's? Is there a standard or is it random?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

Re: When do CC's report balances

Depends on the CCC... some do it right after the statement cycles; other may report at the end of the month.

Message 2 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Sometimes they are late or skip a month. 

If you post the bank name, someone here will know.

Message 3 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Chase and Bank of America. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 10
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

BofA posts your balance on the day your statement ends.

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 5 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

So if I want a low util % I should make a payment a few days before the statement period ends? I guess I could pay whatever has accrued until that point.

Does anyone know about Chase?

Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

So if I want a low util % I should make a payment a few days before the statement period ends? I guess I could pay whatever has accrued until that point.

Does anyone know about Chase?

You are correct.

Message 7 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

Balances are reported to the CRAs the same day the new statement generates.  AMEX reportings lags by one month.  You have to watch BOA and Discover.  They sometimes will update your file with the CRAs twice.  I think they catch on to those who pay full balance before the new statement generates and then make charges right after. 

Message 8 of 10
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

BofA payments usually take a few days to post (at least for me when I pay via transfer). 

I usually make my payment 4 or 5 days before the statement closes just to be safe, and then I don't use the card until the statement period ends. I'm pretty certain than you can make a payment at 11:59 pm on the day your statement ends and still have it be reported as $0 to the CRAs, but I haven't tested this yet. I'm okay with not using the card for a few days each month just to be safe.

A good thing about BofA is that you can overpay and add a credit to your account (it will appear as a negative balance online). I usually do this when I have pending payments that the merchant hasn't punched through yet.

A credit to your account gets reported as a $0 balance to the CRAs so there's no confusion.

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 9 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

That's great news, thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.