cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do cards get "natural" credit limit increases?

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

When do cards get "natural" credit limit increases?

My TJX Rewards card that I've had since July started me off at $400 and they upted the limit to $600 in October. All my other cards (minus my secured) have stayed at the same limit. I know it takes time I'm just wondering why TJX just gave me a credit increase but no one else has? I know with my Capital One card that it is enrolled in some credit step program and should see some sort of increase soon.

Also, I'm wondering when my secured card will become an unsecured card. I know it usually takes a year but I'm hoping it kind of switches over soon since it has a $35 anuual fee.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: When do cards get "natural" credit limit increases?

I know some card offers specifiy in your terms, if you want to look back at those. Like my Cap1 is guaranteed an increase after my first five statement payments come back good and on time.

And some Secured cards graduate, while others can't be graduated. For example my Fifth Third secured won't graduate. SOme companies that do graduate also have problems when they do, such as not loosing the AF when the card they graduated to is not supposed to have one. Odd I know =/

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 2 of 5
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@Startome wrote:

I know some card offers specifiy in your terms, if you want to look back at those. Like my Cap1 is guaranteed an increase after my first five statement payments come back good and on time.

And some Secured cards graduate, while others can't be graduated. For example my Fifth Third secured won't graduate. SOme companies that do graduate also have problems when they do, such as not loosing the AF when the card they graduated to is not supposed to have one. Odd I know =/

Once I get the cards I want (Discover IT, Chase Freedom, BOA Susan G. Komen card and TD Bank Cash Rewards or Easy Rewards cards) I won't want to use my secured anymore. I'm using it to build history. I'd keep it just because it's in good standing. I am doing the credit step program with CO as well. My brother had his BOA secured card graduate to their Cash Rewards card I believe. I'd love to get rid of the fee if they can upgrade my card soon.

Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Every card program and product is separate, even within the same lender (GECRB, Comenity, Capital One, Citi, Barclays, etc.).  A variety of factors are taken into consideration during periodic account reviews that would make them elegible for an automatic CLI.

Some products are driven by targeted marketing promotions (regional or by account profile), tiered usage, account age, internal/behavioral scoring, external CRA data, updated income/profile information, etc.  No product will produce the same results as another, much the same an individual with a similar profile.

Message 4 of 5
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Every card program and product is separate, even within the same lender (GECRB, Comenity, Capital One, Citi, Barclays, etc.).  A variety of factors are taken into consideration during periodic account reviews that would make them elegible for an automatic CLI.

Some products are driven by targeted marketing promotions (regional or by account profile), tiered usage, account age, internal/behavioral scoring, external CRA data, updated income/profile information, etc.  No product will produce the same results as another, much the same an individual with a similar profile.

Okay that does make sense.. I'm just not one to ask for increases at the moment. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.