cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do cards go dormant and what are the consequences?

tag
pdxuser
Contributor

When do cards go dormant and what are the consequences?

I'm considering getting a Macys store card, but I'm wondering when it would go dormant if I don't use it. I'm also wondering what the consequences would be. Who determines that a card is dormant, Macys or the CRAs? What happens to my score when it goes dormant and what happens when I use it again?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Re: When do cards go dormant and what are the consequences?

Each creditor have their own policy as to when an account goes dormant.

There is no one shoe that fits all when is comes to credit scoring on a dormant account.

Some have seen a score drop after 3-months of reporting zero balance, and some have seen a score increase after a dormant account has been used after six months.

Bottom line as far as scoring, it would depend on other factors in your credit report.

Message 2 of 8
pdxuser
Contributor

I'm still confused. 3 months of inactivity hurts your FICO score, but that isn't dormancy? Dormancy is something the creditor decides? What effect would that decision have on anything, if FICO already has its 3-month rule?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For it to impact your score, the creditor would have to stop reporting the update every month. I have not seen a 3 month rule from FICO though.

FWIW, I don't use my Macy's account very much at all and they have not closed it nor stopped updating and even gave me an auto CLI with no use.

Message 4 of 8
pdxuser
Contributor

How long have you gone without activity?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Longest on Macy's 6 month's. I just used it to buy DD her homecoming dress. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
pdxuser
Contributor

Ok, so dormancy is when a creditor stops reporting your account. And that is separate from closing your account. So as long as Macys continues to report, it won't be a problem with FICO that I'm not using it?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is seperate from being closed. But, if I am remembering correctly, a dormant account is not counted in utility and thus could drop your score. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)

It cost the ccc's money to update every month, whether you use it or not. To be on the safe side these day's, I wouldn't go over 6 month's if you can help it. Many ccc's are decreasing limits and closing inactive accounts that are costing them money to maintain. But, I am sure you noticed that?

Macy's has been showing alot of AR's on my EX and EQ reports, so I am wondering if I should use it more. I do have a GEMB account that I have not used ever and am waiting for it to be closed since they are on the rampage. It is for the furniture store, so not like I can swipe it for a soda.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.