Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does BCP make sense?

tag
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Re: When does BCP make sense?

Get out of here!!! I am looking for a travel card to replace my Freedom and I have received countless offers for both of these. I didn't want to apply for new credit so I immediately delete/throw away. But I am going to take another look. If it has potential for savings for me, I may reevaluate. Thank youSmiley Surprised

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can confirm the Walmart Neighborhood Market does code as grocery.  Wifey shops there pretty regularly.  I had to train her which card to use for each category but that's another matter.  You'd be slightly ahead of the every day card in terms of cash back.  That said, the everyday gives MR points which may or may not be more valuable to you depending on how you use them.  

Message 22 of 25
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a minimum spend per category that the community has agree’d that the Anual fee for the BCP is worth it? If not can we make one?

My spending:

about $300/mo on groceries (Walmart neighborhood market)

$60-80/mo on gas

about $30/mo on streaming services.

I ended up downgrading my BCP to a BCE, but I didn't use mine for gas, so our situations are not exactly the same, but our numbers are close.  Here is a link to my topic on it with my math where I decided that using the BCE and Discover It card would make me come out almost even between the two cards (and I did end up getting a second Discover It card, so I'm getting 10% for the first year instead of 5% like this math is showing). 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BCE-Discover-seems-close-enough-to-BCP-for-me/td-p/5346833

I was using $350 per month as my projected grocery spend.  With your groceries and streaming being 6%, you'd be at $330 per month there.  I have a 5% gas card, so I didn't use it for gas.. so you'll have to figure if you come out ahead in that regard as it's only 2% for the BCE for gas vs 3% for the BCP.  They also added that 3% "transit" category to BCP if any of that applies to you.  Based on the high end of your average gas spend at $80, the extra 1% would only mean an extra $9.60 per year, so gas isn't likely to be a deciding factor here, but it's worth mentioning.

Message 23 of 25
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Let’s not forget the new categories of 6% for streaming services. I forgot about that. It works for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Sirius XM, etc. so if you have those you can add to your 6%. I switched all those services over as well.
Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tonya-E, thank you for that - my new BCP should be here Tuesday or Wednesday and I was wondering whether sat radio was included in streaming. We have every one of those services you listed, with XM in two cars, so I’ll be able to really use the streaming 6% category 👍
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.