cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does foreign transaction fee post for Chase cards that have it?

tag
ratchada
Contributor

When does foreign transaction fee post for Chase cards that have it?

Up until now, all of my Chase cards haven't had foreign transaction fees. However, I recently opened a CIU, which does, and to meet MSR, I made a reservation online with Hong Kong Airlines. I'm assuming I will be hit with a 3% foreign transaction fee for this (I'm in the US), but so far, even though the transaction is no longer pending and has posted (close to a week now), I see no charge. Are they going to wait to slap it on until the statement posts? Thanks.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: When does foreign transaction fee post for Chase cards that have it?

I checked this with an online charge I mistakenly thought wasn't international but was. I was charged the forex fee the day after the charge posted back in August '18 on a Freedom Unlimited card. If it hasn't shown up yet perhaps it never will? I would contact customer service to be sure but that would be my guess.

Message 2 of 12
ratchada
Contributor

Thanks...of course, that's my secret hope, that it won't be applied...but doubtful since HK Airlines is completely based outside the US. I'll report back on July 1 when the statement posts!

@simplynoir wrote:

I checked this with an online charge I mistakenly thought wasn't international but was. I was charged the forex fee the day after the charge posted back in August '18 on a Freedom Unlimited card. If it hasn't shown up yet perhaps it never will? I would contact customer service to be sure but that would be my guess.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 3 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Charge in question when the charge posted and the next day forex fee.

Message 4 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My son wanted to buy a video game online, and we bought it on CFU. Little did I know the game was from the UK and I got a foreign transaction fee the day after the charge posted, just like @Simplynoir shows.

Message 5 of 12
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Lots of big companies especially foreign airlines have US based merchant accounts, so you may get lucky.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir ... why poke the bear? If Chase did not charge the FTF let it lay! No sense alerting them.
Message 7 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@simplynoir... why poke the bear? If Chase did not charge the FTF let it lay! No sense alerting them.

Because I wanted to give the OP options. I already said and showed if the FTF hadn't already posted along with the charge that I think they're in the clear and I don't know if they need to calculate the possible fee into their budget.

Message 8 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Wow, an expensive mistake not to realize there would be a FTF!

Message 9 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Wow, an expensive mistake not to realize there would be a FTF!

It set me back not gonna lie. Needed to take out a loan to cover my costs.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.