cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the best time to ask Barclay Cards for a lower APR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is the best time to ask Barclay Cards for a lower APR?

I have had the BJ'S Visa card for about 3 - 4 months now... Should i ask now? or Wait? :/

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: When is the best time to ask Barclay Cards for a lower APR?

I think they are 6 but not for sure.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CreditCFunatic,

My brain cell auto-piloted to asking Barclays for a CLI - but I see that you are clearly asking for a lower APR....

so....regrouping.....

These are the questions I think might help:

What is your current APR with them?  What range APR do they publish for this card - sometimes it's in the fine print.

What is your FICO score?

What is your utilization?

How much has your utilization and/or FICO score changed since you opened your account with them?

And, of course, a reminder that PIF'ing cards makes APR's less of a concern - although I like a nice low APR even on my PIF'd cards.  Makes me happy.

Hopefully some folks who have reduced their APR will chime in on this - in the meantime, any info you can share will help out.

Message 3 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have had a few CLIs from Barclays, but never an APR reduction

Sorry

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zounds.  Smiley Surprised

My Barclay's (Juniper card) statement date was yesterday.  This AM, I checked my account online, logged out, and logged back in to double-check my current APR. 

I opened this card 22 months ago (Nov 09) and it has always been at 14.99%.  I PIF this card, so I don't stress about APR's, but I do keep track of 'em and I'd rather they were lower rather than higher.

As of yesterday, my current APR - 11.99%.  Smiley Tongue

For me, and my only experience is with their Juniper card, Barclays has been great with auto CLI's.  The last auto CLI's have been at six month intervals and have been $1000 each (pretty good for a rebuilder card that opened with a CL of $1200 and now is at $3700).  Evidently they're sometimes decent at auto APR reductions as well.

Anyone else seen an auto APR reduction?

Message 5 of 6
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

I had them lower my B&N mastercard. But only by 1%.

They have been pretty good to me though, and like beam- I get regular 1k increases every 6 months.

Started at 2,500 and now up to 6,500 so can't complain.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.