Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I apply for my next one?

tag
RaeC
Established Member

When should I apply for my next one?

I just got approved for $3.5k on Chase and my fico is 675, and Vantage is 649.

Sorry for the briefness, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply for another or wait about 3 months.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: When should I apply for my next one?

It is not just about time.  It's about your credit profile and income.  Don't just hope for approval.  Idenitify the issues with your credit profile and work on addressing them.

You don't have just one FICO.  There are many FICO models that creditors use and typically for any model you have a score with each of the 3 major CRA's.  Make sure you're regularly reviewing reports from all 3 and not just fixating on a number based on a report from one of them.

VantageScore is only relevant to creditors that use it.

Message 2 of 16
RaeC
Established Member

The 649 is my average between the three. TU and Experience are highest. No negatives on those two, student loan in good standing, thin file. Negative on Equifax that is small amount and working on dispute.

My CR from 3B reflect accurately. 649.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would wait for another 7 months just to have at least 6 months of reporting with the creditor. But I have read of some people doing back to back apps with the same creditor and having luck so who knows. I would wait if it we're me.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Chase Card did you apply for? I would be patient to its a marathon not a sprint, just wait a few months and then apply for another card.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's good to consider your average age of accounts and your utilization, as well as your latest inquires. You want to be as close to a guarentee that you will be approved as you can (maybe try prequal?)

I was recently denied for a card and here are the key factors that adversely affected my credit score:

Time since most recent account opening is too short

Length of time accounts have been established

Too many inquiries last 12 months

Good luck to you!

Message 6 of 16
RaeC
Established Member

Thank you. I'm concerned that the websites I did visit for prequal are not accurate as they only stated recommended, not pre-approved. Chase's was accurate, and that was through cardmatch/creditmatch.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well first of all, congratulations on your Chase approval! 

Is this your only card at the moment?  If so, I agree that you should wait a little bit and let this account age.

Message 8 of 16
RaeC
Established Member

It is. Thanks everyone. My gut instinct was to wait but my excitement nagged at me. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this your only card? Are you new to credit or are you rebuilding? What do you want in a card? You need to provide a little bit more information on what you're looking to do. Oh, and what card was this?

If you provide more information, you can generate more thoughts from the community.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.