Basically I am a 21 year old college student with one year left until I graduate and (hopefully) go off grad school to pursue my Ph.D. I'm trying to establish my credit, but I don't want to apply for cards that I don't actually want. Currently I have a Citi Forward ($900 limit, opened in Feb. 2013) and a student Discover IT ($1500 limit, opened very recently in July 2013). The cards I want to get are a Chase Freedom, an AMEX BCE, and a Citi ThankYou Preferred. My question is, how long should I wait to apply for these cards and should I do them all at once or drawn out or in a particular order?
Other pertinent information:
- I make roughly $13,000 a year.
- When I received my Discover card it included a TU FICO score of 712.
- My TU report has 2 inquiries from the past year, and I think my EX report has two as well. EQ has none that I know of, but I haven't checked it lately.
- I also had a car loan from Jan 2011 to Jan 2013. It was paid off and the account was closed in good standing.
- No late payments/derogatory marks.
Thanks in advance for your opinions!