Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I be good to app for a Zync after Barclay's card

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

When should I be good to app for a Zync after Barclay's card

Hey all, May be a stupid question, but I am just curious.  I have had my Barclay's Apple Card since approval on May 11, 2011.  I haven't apped for anything since getting this card after reading about CLD and Closings.  I have noticed that they have softed my TU and EX credit files monthly up until Sept 16th.  I haven't seen any action from them on my files since then.  When should I be clear to app for the Zync do you think?  Thanks for your help.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: When should I be good to app for a Zync after Barclay's card

After you pass the 6th month mark, I'd say you're safe, IMO

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Thanks Guava for the quick reply.  So the six months starts from the time of approval and not the first statment?  I just don't want this card to be closed or CLD.  I decided that I'd give myself a Zync card for Christmas this year then garden... don't really want anymore cards after this and Barclays has been very good to me since approval.  They increased my limit from 1500 to 4000 after just 2 months.  Again thanks and thanks to all who post here.  I have learned so much since finding this site in April.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 17
Guava
Established Contributor

A 6 month period of clean payment and no inquiry certainly improves your chance of getting Amex Zync. Regarding Barclay, while it's true they CLD or even close the account after seeing inquiries, most of them are due to excessive apping for credit right after acquiring a Barclay card. I think you should be fine. 

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Guava wrote:

A 6 month period of clean payment and no inquiry certainly improves your chance of getting Amex Zync. Regarding Barclay, while it's true they CLD or even close the account after seeing inquiries, most of them are due to excessive apping for credit right after acquiring a Barclay card. I think you should be fine. 

Agreed...it's inquiries and accounts opened in the months following their approval they seem to be concerned about. I think 6 months is a safe bet.

To the OP, look at this as a very good thing. It is FORCING you to garden - which can only help your credit score and improve your chances of getting the best AMEX product possible Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 5 of 17
Smug
Established Contributor

I got 2 new cards after my Barclays 5k card, a few days later, all good.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 6 of 17
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Smug wrote:

DISCLAIMER: Smug's credit score is pretty darn good Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I pulled the trigger 2 days ago, and I got approved, and then denied, and now working on an approval again...seems they had some trouble with their online application system. Provided this goes well, I'm going to put a freeze on all 3 bureaus so I don't open anything else.

Message 8 of 17
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@Smug wrote:

Those three inquiries could hurt...but when you have all three cards reporting for 6 months with a clean payment history, I would say you should be good to try for Zync.

Message 9 of 17
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Improvingmycredit: you said Barclays increased your limit from $1500 to $4000 after just 2 months? Did you request the CLI or was it automatic? Also, did you PIF your balance each month or did you leave a small amount. I'm asking because I just received a Barclays card last mont with a $1500 limit and I'm hoping to get a CLI soon and I'm just trying to gauge how I should handle them so that I will look good in their eyes so that they can give me an increase. On another note, I apped for the Discover and Zync (and was approved for both) two days before apping for Barclays. Barclays denied me and I called them back for a recon and told them that I had just been approved for Discover and Zync and they then reversed the denial and approved me. So I'm not sure how firmly they adhere to the "inquiry" policy or if that's even a policy. My initial denial was for too many inquiries, but I only had 2. When I called the rep for the recon and told them this, they looked at my report and agreed. I think the "too many inquiries" response might just be one of the standard automated computer responses. That's why recons ith Barclays are generally so successful. So I think you'd be safe to app for the Zync now. (I love Zync by the way...the Eco pack is great for all of my shopping at "green" or "natural" stores because I get double rewards points.)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.