Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I pay my credit card bill?

tag
midwestsunshine
Valued Member

When should I pay my credit card bill?

I am confused about when I should actually pay my bill.  I have read threads here & elsewhere re: pre-paying before statement cuts, multiple times within the billing period, before the issuers reporting date etc..etc..  I have 2 questions.  Thanks for your replies.

#1  To maximize the probability of a cli with amex for a revolving credit card with a toy limit.  When do I pay & do I pay in full?

#2  If I just pay my other credit cards in full by the due date am I doing anything wrong.  I assume if I pay in full by the due date my credit file at bureaus will update each month with zero balance.  Do I have this correct?  Sorry for such simple questions.  I couldn't find a clear answer with search.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: When should I pay my credit card bill?

Most card issuers report your statement balance (which is generally 3 to 7 days after bill due date) and a few report on a certain day of the month regardless of statement date.

You can pay the full amount of your bill, even your balance on day you pay bill, but if you make charges before they report you may be subject to a balance reporting.

You need to determine when your cards report and make sure they report as low as possible.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@midwestsunshine wrote:

I am confused about when I should actually pay my bill.  I have read threads here & elsewhere re: pre-paying before statement cuts, multiple times within the billing period, before the issuers reporting date etc..etc..  I have 2 questions.  Thanks for your replies.

#1  To maximize the probability of a cli with amex for a revolving credit card with a toy limit.  When do I pay & do I pay in full?

#2  If I just pay my other credit cards in full by the due date am I doing anything wrong.  I assume if I pay in full by the due date my credit file at bureaus will update each month with zero balance.  Do I have this correct?  Sorry for such simple questions.  I couldn't find a clear answer with search.

Do you know why Amex gave you a toy limit? Payment patterns may not mean much without addressing some underlying concern they may have.

I generally pay on the due date. It's easy when I can get ebills on most of my cards and push payments from my checking account. My credit is good enough that I can afford to lose a few FICO points for occasionally high-ish utilization and still get approvals.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 15
Rmullens2208
Contributor

In full when it's due and don't use until the statement cuts you want your UTL as low as possible use the Azero all 0 except a small balance on one for FICO optimization

Message 4 of 15
midwestsunshine
Valued Member

2 account closures with amex.  Last one in the aftermath of 08' and only after making my payment (charge card)  Tbh, I am not a fan of amex & they don't like me so much either. But the gold delta is worth a free checked bag & we use Hilton mostly for business.  If i could get this card to even 5k, I would feel less miserable. 

Message 5 of 15
Rmullens2208
Contributor

@midwestsunshine wrote:

2 account closures with amex.  Last one in the aftermath of 08' and only after making my payment (charge card)  Tbh, I am not a fan of amex & they don't like me so much either. But the gold delta is worth a free checked bag & we use Hilton mostly for business.  If i could get this card to even 5k, I would feel less miserable. 

Amex will do sp credit limit increases or 3X at 90 days there are other options if they won't budge I'm obviously not a fan I never get approved for there products I prefer other options

Message 6 of 15
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

This is my experience.....

I have all my card statement dates set between 1st - 5th of the month. I like them all to cut about the same time.

Regardless how much I put on each of my cards every month, I always pay them down by the 20th-21st of the month. Most issuers report balances between 24th - 31st. (This may not alway be the case, but I dug into this early in my credit youth and I found that most do.) This is why I want to pay down by the 21st to be safe. Most of them I will pay down to zero, only allowing 2 to carry any balance to statement. Then I usually pay those 2 balances (PIF) by the 8th-10th. I'm not always strict about it though, sometimes maybe 3 or 4 cards carry very small minimal balance to statement, no big deal. If I am planning to apply for new cards though (or building up for a mortgage loan) I will definitely drop to AZE1 (all zero except one). If you have multiple cards as I do, then each month I let 2 different cards carry to balance, rotating, so they all can show balance activity at least every 2 months. I just like to make sure all of them see regular activity.

In regards to CLI, if that is your goal for the AMEX, then I would definitely let that one report balance at statement (10% or less only) every month. Doesn't mater how much you spend on it each month, you can max it out if you want, as long as you pay it down to 10% before reporting. It's best to show them activity so it shows a need for higher limits.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 7 of 15
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@midwestsunshine wrote:

I wouldn't take it personally. It's not that Amex doesn't like you, there's something in your profile they don't like. On your 2 account closures,  did Amex close them or did you? What are the rest of your DP? Any lates or major derogs? Theres a reason they gave you a "toy" SL.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 8 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@midwestsunshine wrote:

The only reason you're "confused" is that your general question has no simple answer because (a) people have different objectives and (b) people have different opinions.

In response to your specific questions:

Use the card as much as possible and pay it off over and over again, within the same billing cycle. Just make sure the statement balance is 28% of the limit or less, so you don't kill your scores.

Yes you are doing something wrong if you think your reported balance will be zero. In most cases the statement balance is the reported balance, so if you get a statement balance which is $200 on a $400 card, and then pay it off before the due date, your utilization is 50% not zero.

There are some exceptions to the general rule that the statement balance is the reported balance. But we would need to know the specific lenders to know if they are exceptions to the general rule.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay all my cards immediately after the statement closes.  Not sure if that would help with CLIs, but in general, if you show lots of use with a card, you would be considered for a CLI. Some issuers don't care about use, you can get them without much or any use.

In general, paying on time, using the card, keeping utilization low will increase likelyhood of getting a CLI. 

I usually don't pay on the due date. Nothing wrong with doing that or paying before the due date.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.