cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When shown the LUV do you show it back??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When shown the LUV do you show it back??

When I get an auto cli or a creditor shows me some LUV I start using that card for awhile and show some back as a thank you if I haven't been using it much do you?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When shown the LUV do you show it back??

@Anonymous wrote:

When I get an auto cli or a creditor shows me some LUV I start using that card for awhile and show some back as a thank you if I haven't been using it much do you?

I would have a hard time seeing a creditor issue a auto CLI without you already using the card, and with that using the card a fair amount.

Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I try not to fall into the "emotion" thing with cards. The reality is that issuers don't really care about us much as people, and it's not as if a human, in most cases, is saying "oh, you're using the card a lot, let's give you an auto CLI!". These decisions are made from a computer, who decides we have the potential to provide profit, so they give us more buying power. That's all it is.

I do sometimes try to do a very occasional swipe in a non-bonus category on cards like Discover, but that's more just because I don't want to appear to be only milking the 5% categories (but again, with my own logic: a human isn't really looking at that kind of thing most of the time).

So I think the best course of action is to use the cards that benefit you most vs worrying about giving an issuer "love". Just don't think there's any reliable benefit. If you qualify for a CLI you'll get one, usage or not.

Message 3 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I do sometimes try to do a very occasional swipe in a non-bonus category on cards like Discover, but that's more just because I don't want to appear to be only milking the 5% categories (but again, with my own logic: a human isn't really looking at that kind of thing most of the time).

I think that is perfectly consistent: if you have a card that you like (which hopefully means gives you good rewards rather than "is pretty" but whatever!) you want to make sure you continue to look profitable to the issuer.   And it wouldn't be at all surprising if the issuers do check for "only uses in bonus category".   So it makes sense as a defensive measure, if done sparingly.

Whereas using the "wrong" card to repay CLI luv, really doesn't, especially if, like me, you don't think CLIs have any real value.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And indeed I expect a cli on cards I put a lot of spend thru however some like my most recent cli on my cap1QS I probably had 10-15 swipes in the last 6 months maybe for a total of 700 bucks they gave me 3k more do I need it or should I even have been offered it probably not based on my spending habits with them but they gave me it so I returned the favor Over the last few weeks.   Yes their mind games worked and I started using their card again lol 

Message 5 of 13
icyhot
Valued Contributor

When BofA increased my credit line to $14,500 (which still blows my mind) I made a few purchases at Sams to see if it would process as groceries. It didn't. I don't have much use for it since no BankAmerideals are showing and I have my PRG for gas and groceries. I used it heavily when I was still building my credit last year so hopefully that counts for something
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I show usage to cards with good rewards or low APRs. I respond well to money in my pocket; I respond poorly to offers of more rope with which to hang myself.
Message 7 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Yes for some cards, no for others.  Anything BoA, FNBO, Citi, and Unify CU (anything with low interest rates) gets luv back, the others not so much, for purchases at least.  Although for some of the others and some of the higher-APR cards, I will show luv back by using them for long-term balance transfers, if they offer nice promos which they frequently do from time to time.

Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So, trying to clarify the question:  Something like:

If a card gives you a CLI, will you use that card more (at least for some time) even if using another card would give more rewards on those purchases?

Sounds like for some the answer is yes.   Another of those things I can't relate to!    Since I don't see value in CLIs, this is reducing rewards for no reason IMO....

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

the CL of the card doesn't determine use nor value to me. idc if they're all $500 limits i will use mine based on my spend not on if they give me a CLI. i could care less.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.