Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to activate credit cards?

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

When to activate credit cards?

Recently got 2 credit cards (citi select, amex blue cash everyday) today and I am wondering what is the BEST PRACTICE in activating them? Meaning will My credit card will have more postive and less negative effect if I activate them both at the same day or different days or even weeks?

So does it matter when you activate them?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to activate credit cards?

@improvent363 wrote:

Recently got 2 credit cards (citi select, amex blue cash everyday) today and I am wondering what is the BEST PRACTICE in activating them? Meaning will My credit card will have more postive and less negative effect if I activate them both at the same day or different days or even weeks?

So does it matter when you activate them?

The credit cards are going to report to the CRA's starting from the month you were approved, so activating them really has no bearing on positive or negative.

Activate them both at the same time, it makes no difference.

Message 2 of 9
improvent363
New Contributor

Okay. 

1.Also, does the 0% APR rate start as soon as you are approved or when you activate the card?

2. Does BT 0% APR also start as you are approved or when you activate the card? And it says I have to BT within 4 months, so does it start as you are approved or when you activate the card?

Message 3 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Intro APR (purchase and balance transfer) went into effect as soon as you approved for the card.

Message 4 of 9
improvent363
New Contributor

@trumpet-205  

What makes you so sure?

Message 5 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Cause when I got my Citi cards and BofA card on January, July, and August (today), which they all have introductory offer, clearly said it went into effect on December, May, and June respectively.

I apped those three cards at the end of the month, and introductory offer started at that month, rather than next month (when I activated my cards).

Message 6 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

Okay. 

1.Also, does the 0% APR rate start as soon as you are approved or when you activate the card?

2. Does BT 0% APR also start as you are approved or when you activate the card? And it says I have to BT within 4 months, so does it start as you are approved or when you activate the card?

Usually these offers are effective immediately and expire on the closing date after the number of months in the offer.  

Delaying in activated the card will generally not change anything about the offer.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@improvent363 wrote:

@trumpet-205  

What makes you so sure?

You can call the rep the same day for the Credit Card number/account number and they can give it to you (Or might tell you to wait).

Once you're accepted, you immediately get a line of credit at that moment. Its just like openning a store credit. When the cashier says you're approved, your account is ready to accept that transaction. Banks are the same way, except you need the card first to make purchases.

Message 8 of 9
MagicShot
Contributor

+1
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.