Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply Amex SPG?

tag
sal2009
Established Member

When to apply Amex SPG?

how long until I shld apply for he Amex spg card? I just recently got accepted for Amex premier rewards gold charge...after multiple recon attempts..had to get manual review bc of old cancelled bk account. I really wanted spg card but got prg bc I heard charge cards easier to get approved. Figured after using a bit

of using prg I would apply. Advice as to when?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.

Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 

Message 3 of 6
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 

if your a amex member yes thats correct. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditnocash wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?

Should have clarified that.  Yes, as an existing Amex cardmember, future applications seem to only result in hard pulls upon approval.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.