Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to ask for a lower APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to ask for a lower APR

When is a reasonable time to ask your lender for a reduced APR?  Ive had a Wells Fargo card for 19 months, Cap1 for 7, Discover for 3, and AMEX for 1.  When would a realistic time be to ask them? Im sure that the newer accounts would be a no go. How much longer should I wait?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: When to ask for a lower APR

For Discover, currently you have to wait 6 months between requests. Just use the live chat and ask if your Permanent Purchase APR can be reduced. Ignore any ofers for temporary reductions.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be a silly question and I don't mean to hijack, but does requesting a lower APR use a HP?

Message 3 of 25
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This may be a silly question and I don't mean to hijack, but does requesting a lower APR use a HP?

No it won't.

I'm a big advocate of proactively requesting APR reductions.  Quite a few lenders are more than willing to cut interest rates.

Message 4 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

Generally it doesn't, including the issuers mentioned in OP but as with many things credit related YEMV.

Alliant CU for e.g. typically has a strict score requirement and typically does HP for APRD requests.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

For Discover, currently you have to wait 6 months between requests. Just use the live chat and ask if your Permanent Purchase APR can be reduced. Ignore any ofers for temporary reductions.

Not necessarily. Discover offered me 0% APR for 12 months and I took it.

Message 6 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When is a reasonable time to ask your lender for a reduced APR?  Ive had a Wells Fargo card for 19 months, Cap1 for 7, Discover for 3, and AMEX for 1.  When would a realistic time be to ask them? Im sure that the newer accounts would be a no go. How much longer should I wait?

Sooner than 6 months may be too early to improve profile sufficiently to qualify in general so is probably a good rule of thumb, since it can't hurt to ask, place request before revolving any balance even if that's earlier.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asking for an APR reduction can be a HP depending on lender. Chase is one.

Cap1 won't permanently reduce your APR. you'll get a promo for like 6 months or something.

Discover told me to wait a year (that's ymmv though)

AmEx is good if you're not in a 0% period.
Message 8 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Asking for an APR reduction can be a HP depending on lender. Chase is one.

Cap1 won't permanently reduce your APR. you'll get a promo for like 6 months or something.

Discover told me to wait a year (that's ymmv though)

AmEx is good if you're not in a 0% period.

Chase doesn't really entertain APRD requests, would be hard pressed to find a card holder who received one on request with or without HP.

Message 9 of 25
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Not necessarily. Discover offered me 0% APR for 12 months and I took it.

If that is what you are interested in, then thats fine. But you are not likely to get any permanent APR reductions while that temporary reduction is in effect. So if your goal is permanent reduction, it can be best to keep your eye on the prize and don't allow them to distract you with other offers if you aren't going to use those offers.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.