Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to cancel the sub-prime cards?

tag
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

When to cancel the sub-prime cards?

So I have been on the rebuilding path for a while and I was just approved for a Wells Fargo Rewards card. I know its not a popular card because the rewards are lacking, but its my best approval to date.  So my question is, is it time to cancel out my cards with low limits and annual fees?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: When to cancel the sub-prime cards?

Probably not if your file is still thin. What other cards do you have??

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

if it has annual fee, i would cancel it right away.

if it doesn't, don't cancel it. just leave it in your sock drawer and let it  close itself out due to inactivity.

Wells Fargo is conservative towards unsecured card approvals. You're making the right step in the right direction and a lot more better cards will be coming your way soon. Another plus side about wells fargo from my personal opinion. While the rewards are lackluster, they are pretty generous with CLIs (auto and customer initiated) and the lowest APR rates is easier to get.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

With Wells Fargo, you're on your way.

I'd cancel the annual fee cards immediately. 

Message 4 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Macys $1500 1 year

BrandSource/ Citi $2000 6 months

Kohls  $500 3.5 years

Orchard Bank $300 3 years 59 annual fee

best buy reward zone mastercard $500 1.5 years 59 annual fee

Yeah I have banked with them for 7 years and I kept receiving "pre-qualified" offers so i finally just bit the bullet and they approved me for $4000.  I was thinking it was somehting I could build on my path to better and I was too scared to apply for better lol.

Message 5 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Yeah, also should have said I was dumb and didnt know to request CLI's on any of the other cards. 

Message 6 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Have you tried to email EO at Capital 1 to get the fee waived?
Message 7 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

No, I have only called the number on the back of the card and just get the "we are not granting CLI's during the transition".  Would it even be worth while at this point?

Message 8 of 13
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

If you AAOA is still low, I would probably hand on to the subprime a for a while, unless you getting hit with all kinds of annual fees, I have a credit one(god only knows why I obtained it) I don't need it, have plenty of primes--chase freedom, BP, Barclays, GE capital, but I look at it as another positive trade line on my file..

But in regards to your question, tif you feel like there is no point in keeping if, and if its not going to effect your credit, I would just keep them(sub primes) granite if you close it it will still report every month as in a good standing condition.

Good luck...
Message 9 of 13
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Excuse the typos...on my cell phone
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.