cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to get an American Express Charge car?

tag
newUser0
Established Contributor

Re: When to get an American Express Charge car?

Amex rejected me for a short card history when I applied for the first time ( I had around 7 months of history). If i remember correctly, they mentioed in the denial reason that not able to obtain a credit history for one year some thing like this.

So, I am not sure how much your approval chances for a charge card (YMMV). But as always, its suggested to wait for a year, and apply with amex. Just my 2 cents to save a HP. In the meanwhile try other lenders, like Discover, Cap1, CU cards, Duck etc. to build and make well use of HP.

Message 11 of 30
Eve212

Thank you very much, I already did & got approved even though my history is only 6 months. Probably I'd change to the Blue Cash Everyday after 11 months to avoid the annual fee. Closing this card may hurt my credit for the long term but probably I'll be satisfied with Blue Cash for a long while. Hopefully at that time I'll have a larger saving account & investment than right now so that my financial picture still seems promising. Please let me know if there're something wrong in my plan, thank you.

Message 12 of 30
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Good job actually!!  Nice to get your foot in the door with Amex and start building a relationship with them.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 13 of 30
blk8
Regular Contributor

Nice! I'm glad you listened and went for it. I would apply for another AMEX right now as it would be the same pull. Go for a revolver.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 14 of 30
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

@blk8 wrote:
Nice! I'm glad you listened and went for it. I would apply for another AMEX right now as it would be the same pull. Go for a revolver.

Not to entice you to do anything you do not want to do but if you apply right now and are declined it is a soft pull. It is only another hard pull if they approve the revolver.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 15 of 30
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

@Eve212 wrote:

Thank you very much, I already did & got approved even though my history is only 6 months. Probably I'd change to the Blue Cash Everyday after 11 months to avoid the annual fee. Closing this card may hurt my credit for the long term but probably I'll be satisfied with Blue Cash for a long while. Hopefully at that time I'll have a larger saving account & investment than right now so that my financial picture still seems promising. Please let me know if there're something wrong in my plan, thank you.

Congrats! Which card were you approved for? I dont think charge cards can convert to revolvers. I think you should wait 6 months to app for the BCE, if u apply now you will probably get a crappy limit if approved at all. A little history with AMEX will help you to get a decent credit limit.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 16 of 30
Eve212

I;m approved for the Blue Cash Everyday already, I thought it's hard but it's not at all. Thank you guys very much.

Message 17 of 30
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

@Eve212 wrote:

I;m approved for the Blue Cash Everyday already, I thought it's hard but it's not at all. Thank you guys very much.

Nice work! Which charge card did you get and what is your limit on the BCE if you dont mind sharing?

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 18 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@Eve212 wrote:

Congrats, and great start!  An AmEx asap is the ideal way to begin.

Message 19 of 30
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@Eve212 wrote:

Yay!  Congrats on your AmEx x 2!!!  Welcome to the family!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.