Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to go after AMEX Blue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to go after AMEX Blue?

I agree with you ukimafija, I have too many low limit cards.

I was thinking of maybe trying to downsize into just two or three "Good" mainstream cards.  IE: Just closing Credit One after paying it off.  Is that a good idea or should I just stick it in a drawer and forget about it after its zero balanced out?

I would go after Cap One first but, while its still a Cap 1 Cash Rewards card, it is still the same starter CLI that they give most folks.  Start at 500 and auto to 750 after 6 months (7 months to receive auto CLI).  I am still two months out from that auto increase.

Should I try my hand at a CLI with Cap One anyway and maybe just go straight through the Executive offices via email? 

I was thinking of using Balance transfers as bait for Discover if it becomes necessary.  I only have two cards of my own though since I am mainly listed as AU on my wife's cards and had to do it that way while I repaired my reports.  As such, the incentive for Discover is only 500-1000 bucks.  Of course Discover will see that we use and pay off my wife's card a LOT....maybe that will help.

Do you think as far as Chase Freedom goes, it would just be better to walk into our main Chase branch here and sit down with their rep? 

Mainly what I don't want is to apply, take a Hard inquiry and get denied.  blah.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry drewrico, it was a Visa til Cap One took them over.  Now its Best Buy rewards Master Card.  I think that happened about 5 months or so ago.

It sits in our drawer because it has a measly 300 limit on it and just a pair of shoes will push its util out of whack.

Message 12 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

does it have an annual fee??

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 13 of 24
drewrico
New Contributor

Ive worked at best buy for two years and during those 2 years best buy has never offered a visa. odd...

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm thats strange.  I am looking right at it.  Its blue, has the Best buy price tage logo in the top left with the words "rewardzone" and the "o" on zone is a yellow circle thingy.

Mastercard logo in the bottom right corner and our "reward zone number" below the name.

Back says its issued by Capital One N.A.

I am in California.  Maybe that matters. I dunno

EDIT:  I looked for the old card because they replaced them when Cap One took over a few months ago.  I believe I destroyed them but I am almost positive they were Visa cards.  I could be crazy though.  i dunno.

Message 15 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

WOW how did you get that card?? Is it the platinum version or gold version??

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says "Gold" just above the Mastercard logo.

I seriously never use it.  I get emailed specials from Best buy all the time to buy something anything and a lot of the time the specials are to offer other financing on big ticket items, but I like my credit score better than I need a new tv at the moment Smiley Tongue  So with a 300 dollar limit, it holds down my paper clips in my desk drawer. hehe

Message 17 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

yea thats true although arent you paying an annual fee?? like of $59?

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

When we got it, the fee was 39 I think.  This is one of the cards I plan on shutting off before too long as its really not very beneficial to us.  We got it to help my wife's report when she was just trying to get anyone to give her a card.  Now that she has far better cards, we are trimming off the dead weight.  (of which this 300 dollar limit is a joke of a card). 

The fee cards we have are Credit One and Amex I believe.

My cash rewards Cap one does not have one if memory serves me correct.

Discover does not either or at least thats what I recall anyway.

This is sorta my transition from needing to take anything I could get to being able to be a bit choosy.  I want a mainstream card with a real limit but I am not going to just take whatever either.  Smiley Happy 

Message 19 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

yea you should cut  all annual fee cards and just keep capital one and discover, obviously do this once you get another prime card. Good to know that you dot have to relay on these cards that are useless hahha. Congrats on your success and keeo us posted when you get a prime card like AMEX OR CHASE. Good luck!

P.S AMEX IS A GOOD ANNUAL FEE CARD LOL 

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.